TV problem

5.1 is where you have 5 speakers and a sub

Two behind you, left and right Two in fornt of you, again left and right One in the middle in front of you - This is the center speaker used mainy for dialogue and the .1 is the sub woofer - this can be anywhere, as frequencies this low are onmi-directional (your ears cant tell where they are comming from!)

6.1 Has another center speaker behind you 7.1 has the same as 5.1, but also another two, left and right beside you, 8.1 has the lot!
Reply to
Sparks

I know cos my Freeview box S-Video output appears as B&W via my Hauppauge T.V. card in my PC, I have to use Composite Video or RGB to see colour. I've got an Abit 5.1 system which is very nice & supplies suround sound - got it from

here

Chris Oates

by design it can - but by accident S-Video does it better

Reply to
Chris Oates

Correct. And the player does the conversion.

No they aren't.

There is between PAL and NTSC, true.

625 - usually, and definitely in this country. But the number of lines is irrelevant as to whether it's PAL. PAL only refers to the type of colour information.
525 in the US. And it's not actually 30 frames per second either.

Assuming it is a film, it probably consists of 24 frames per second....

I think you need to research a wee bit further...

You've guessed wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

which refer to analogue recording systems like VHS, and to the DVD

*players* which may or may not output PAL or NTSC signals. I'm talking about the DVDs themselves.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

The player will only convert if the video on the DVD is in the other format

Ok, what are they then? - Please explain without just saying its all digital! the movie has to be made up of frames of a certain definition and rate!

Ok, I got this the wrong way around here, I agree UK PAL has 625, and NTSC has 525

As I said, it was a guess

Probably a Tea break

Reply to
Sparks

So why do most of my region 2 DVD's have PAL UK or Colour-PAL on the back then?

For fun?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Sorry, but that's plain wrong - PAL has 625 Lines.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Notice any differance between the two images here?

Sparks

It wouldn't be hard pushed at all, but I'm not "knowledgeable" here, it's just that I've witnessed it manage it, without it so much as breaking into a sweat, with my own eyes!

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Yep, stand corrected!

I realised that soon after I posted :-s

I got the PAL/NTSC scan lines the wrong way round

Doh!...

Reply to
Sparks

In message , Dave Plowman wrote

Are you sure about this?

I've only ever played dvds on my computer via WinDVD and this has always shown Region 1 DVDs to be NTSC and Region 2 PAL.

e.g. the disc currently in the drive is listed in the WinDVD info box as

Video: Stream: Type: Interlaced MPEG2 Bitrate: 8.000 Mbps Framerate: 25.000 Hz Resolution: 720x576 Aspect ratio: 16x9

Reply to
dave cunningham

It would have been more illuminating to have had the results from a Region 1 disc too :-)

Anyway, as Dave says, the DVD contains digital data in MPEG format. PAL and NTSC describe the RF transmission method, not the source encoding. However, one would naturally expect the encoding to reflect the intended use:

John Laird

I was being too lazy to bottom post yesterday - getting irritated by soap-box Dave.

Quick look at Amazon reveals:

PAL video format for this particular disc.

And this one from CDWow

NTSC

I rest my case.

Reply to
Alan

You'll notice only some of them have. It's just used to identify the UK etc version coding wise - people are used to seeing PAL on a VHS which really *does* mean PAL.

Some VHS tapes also used to say NICAM stereo, which is equally stupid - a case of marketing triumphing over reality.

Have you ever downloaded a movie clip off the net? Does it ask you whether you want the PAL or NTSC version? No? DVD uses effectively the same system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Heh heh. Typical Windows. Always talk down to the user who can't be expected to understand anything. What does it say about a DVD with no regional coding? PAL/NTSC compatible? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , John Laird wrote

Here you go...

Video: Stream: Type: Encrypted and Interlaced MPEG2 Bitrate: 7.500 Mbps Framerate: 29.970 Hz Resolution: 720x480 Aspect ratio: 4x3

Reply to
dave cunningham

A colour composite signal consists of luminance, syncs and colour burst.

If you remove the colour burst, you get B&W. This is effectively what the Y (luminance) signal of S-Video is - luminance and syncs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yes I have, and yes there are different formats of clips

...and yes, I have been asked what format I wanted

Some are 720x576 @ 25 FPS Some are 720x480 @ 29.97 FPS

Have you ever created a DVD? I guess not, as if you had you would know this...

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

On a region 0 DVD I have, it states it is NTSC, not both

You still haven't explained what is actually on the DVD, apart from saying "its digital"

The mpeg stream on the DVD has to have a FPS and a reolution if it is for a PAL system it is 720x576 @ 25 FPS If it is for an NTSC system it is 720x480 @ 29.97 FPS

Do you agree with this?

Reply to
Sparks