TV heads up: New materials ...

They grew a field of it or two around here a couple of years ago. I notice they had a sign facing the road in a prominent position announcing it was a low THC crop. (the fields were unfenced, although had hedges in some places)

Reply to
John Rumm

still got caught though, eh ?

My starting point is that embarking upon a career that is effectively "me versus the entire population" isn't great odds. As the IRA noted so succinctly - they only have to be lucky once.

Of course if you have the smarts to avoid getting caught as a criminal, then you probably aren't going to be a criminal.

The gold standard of criminality is to get elected so you get to write the laws saying who is - and who is not - a criminal. Which, in a nice return to base is what the current crop of Tories are all doing, buying into companies flogging medical cannabis while ensuring the supply remains tightly controlled.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If it quickly got pollinated, it *should* be obviously useless for drugs.

I guess if it was a *really* remote location, any bad boys would stand out a mile, or it wouldn't be worth their petrol :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The whole point of superconducting is that it's a step-change in the behaviour of magnetic flux. It's explained in Wiki with pictures, but TL;DR is that a superconducting magnet isn't just a strong one. It has unique properties which create the effect.

All of which doesn't change the fact that room temperature superconductors have joined fusion power as something we'll see "in the next 10 years". And have been for nearly 25 years.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Richard

Most, if not all, of the high temperature superconductors are crystalline materials. Drawing them out into wires was seen as quite a problem. Has it been solved yet, do you know?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The absence of the technology that could be built with such materials suggests no. Every few years there's a flurry of "news" (IBM were quite active in the field AIR). But nothing practical.

Assuming it is "crackable" at some point, then the introduction of room temperature (and it's worth noting that "room temperature" has been stretched downwards to encompass solid CO2) will usher in a revolution in many areas. Not just magnets, but computing with the Josephson junction.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Why so?

Reply to
Handsome Jack

Because you only get the THC buds from unpollinated plants (sensimilla means "without seeds" in Spanish). The second they are pollinated you get seeds not dope.

That said, you'll always find some moronic stoners who will try and smoke male plants.

(Obviously if you are breeding cannabis, you want seeds, but the practice is a little more refined)

Reply to
Jethro_uk