TV Aerial Rig

All gone digital in Granadaland so I need a better aerial.

Have bought wall bracket, 6' mast and antenna. All the installation guides and local installations PVC-tape the cable to the outside of the mast. I reckon I could do a neater job by feeding the cable through the inside of the mast. What might be wrong with this? Why does everybody else do it differently?

Am I missing something?

Reply to
Roger Cain

I suggest you ask in uk.tech.digital-tv - there are some professional riggers who frequent that group.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Hopefully nothing, as it's what I've done. All seems to work fine.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Roger Cain pretended :

No, but you might need to prevent the outer being damaged by the sharp edges of the mast.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

bottom - but some way of letting out any water would be needed.

Reply to
John

Sound advice. The only things I can think mof with the cable inside is that it can still chafe and cause noise.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Ever been down to the local yacht club on a windy day? Clink-clink-clink ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah, the pleasant sound of anodising being removed...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Don't do it, tape the cable to the outside of the mast.

Had the TV aerial replaced a few weeks ago, and the installer said that he was frequently called out to deal with installations where the cable running inside the mast clattered in the wind.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Its easy to tape in place on the outside, whereas it can flop about inside.

(I have noted different local aerial installers use different taping patterns so that they can see who did which install at a glance!)

Reply to
John Rumm

local installations PVC-tape the cable to the

through the inside of the mast. What might be wrong

Your neighbours won't appreciate the noise on a windy day.

Are you receiving the main transmitter, Winter Hill? Did you get the correct group C/D aerial or were you just fobbed off with a wideband.

Reply to
Graham.

Put small cable ties at short random distances around the cable[*] to prevent that. Beware of chafing at top and bottom of mast.

  • I wish they'd do that with street lights, when some sway it makes a racket!
Reply to
<me9

Yup, Winter Hill. 'Fraid I fell for a Blake's WB05. I shall prob. get away with it as currently reception is just marginal on a downstairs indoor antenna.

Reply to
Roger Cain

with it as currently reception is just marginal on a

That's the trouble with DIY sheds of course.

The last time I bought an aerial was over 20 years ago, and one of the local aerial firms (AIR in Radcliffe) had a trade counter and would sell bits and pieces to the public. I don't know if that was common, I suspect it doesn't happen too often now.

Reply to
Graham.

Is there much difference? I could understand it if WH was group A or B but most C/Ds are wideband models these days aren't they?

Reply to
Paul

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Burns saying something like:

That's the sound of depreciation.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No a C/D is for that part of the band, the W is a wideband. Mind you wideband Yagi aerials are piss poor at being wideband. The only real wideband is the log periodic, wideband but a bit low on overall gain;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

I can remember the time when C & D were separate groups, as immortalised my Michael Aspel here.

Graham.

In article , Graham. scribeth thus

reading;!..

tony sayer