TV Aerial Rig

All gone digital in Granadaland so I need a better aerial.
Have bought wall bracket, 6' mast and antenna. All the installation guides and local installations PVC-tape the cable to the outside of the mast. I reckon I could do a neater job by feeding the cable through the inside of the mast. What might be wrong with this? Why does everybody else do it differently?
Am I missing something?

I suggest you ask in uk.tech.digital-tv - there are some professional riggers who frequent that group.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Sound advice. The only things I can think mof with the cable inside is that it can still chafe and cause noise.
Peter Crosland
On 6 Jan,

Put small cable ties at short random distances around the cable[*] to prevent that. Beware of chafing at top and bottom of mast.
* I wish they'd do that with street lights, when some sway it makes a racket!
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Roger Cain wrote:

Hopefully nothing, as it's what I've done. All seems to work fine.
Pete
Roger Cain pretended :

No, but you might need to prevent the outer being damaged by the sharp edges of the mast.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Tape does look unsightly. Would need a grommet at the top and one at the bottom - but some way of letting out any water would be needed.
On 06/01/10 20:19, Roger Cain wrote:

Ever been down to the local yacht club on a windy day? Clink-clink-clink ...
Andy Burns wrote:

Ah, the pleasant sound of anodising being removed...
Andy
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Burns

That's the sound of depreciation.
Roger Cain wrote:

Don't do it, tape the cable to the outside of the mast.
Had the TV aerial replaced a few weeks ago, and the installer said that he was frequently called out to deal with installations where the cable running inside the mast clattered in the wind.
Roger Cain wrote:

Its easy to tape in place on the outside, whereas it can flop about inside.
(I have noted different local aerial installers use different taping patterns so that they can see who did which install at a glance!)
--
Cheers,

John.

Your neighbours won't appreciate the noise on a windy day.
Are you receiving the main transmitter, Winter Hill? Did you get the correct group C/D aerial or were you just fobbed off with a wideband.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Yup, Winter Hill. 'Fraid I fell for a Blake's WB05. I shall prob. get away with it as currently reception is just marginal on a downstairs indoor antenna.

That's the trouble with DIY sheds of course.
The last time I bought an aerial was over 20 years ago, and one of the local aerial firms (AIR in Radcliffe) had a trade counter and would sell bits and pieces to the public. I don't know if that was common, I suspect it doesn't happen too often now.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Is there much difference? I could understand it if WH was group A or B but most C/Ds are wideband models these days aren't they?

No a C/D is for that part of the band, the W is a wideband. Mind you wideband Yagi aerials are piss poor at being wideband. The only real wideband is the log periodic, wideband but a bit low on overall gain;)...
--
Tony Sayer

I can remember the time when C & D were separate groups, as immortalised my Michael Aspel here. http://www.zen77094.zen.co.uk/vintagebroadcasting/ctr.htm
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Report published on TV aerials today by Ofcom quite extensive reading;!..
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/research/tv/reports/dsoind/aerials_research.pdf
--
Tony Sayer