tumble dryer which?

Our 3yr old Aquatronic dryer has just gone on the blink yet again, so we intend to get a new one (probably Miele). The Aquatronic was a Condenser which, though doing the job (when it worked), it did fill the room with a fair bit of steam. Tapping into expert knowledge here, would it be better to go back to a vented dryer, are they more efficient/reliable? Don't mind bashing a hole in the wall ( my earlier ones had a pipe through the door but I Wouldn't go back to that method.)

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

We've had a Miele tumble dryer in daily use for about 12 years and this one vents to the outside.

It had one fault in early life (a failed on/off switch replaced under warranty) and has otherwise performed faultlessly It still looks as good as new.

I think that if you can deliver the damp air outside it makes sense.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'd go for, and recommend, a vented every time. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

came out very well in the Which magazine we've had one for several years no problem, it's coped with Vet-bed from puppies and now sadly Rough collie OAP's .

The Q Rough Collies Rule OK!

Reply to
the q

Personally, I prefer condensing types.

I have a Bosch integrated condensing model. My mother has a free standing Miele vented. Both have reliable sensor mechanisms.

The vented is a pain quite apart from the need for an ugly hole in the wall that prevents the machine being relocated. The hose is always getting snagged and the "Clear airways" light comes on. It is very hard to position the machine back in its hole, as the hose gets crumpled and the extra space required for it behind means the machine sticks out 10cm from the worktop. The condensing Bosch doesn't have this problem and can be plumbed into a drain, so there is no need to empty the tray every time. The Bosch is more energy efficient, especially during the winter where the extra heat is useful.

Condensing types are not all the same. The Bosch produces about four times (literally!) the water of my old Hoover condensor. That is despite moving from a 1200 spin to 1600 spin washing machine at the same time. The clothes go in practically dry and end up almost filling the huge tray (I haven't got round to plugging the drain in yet). There is no steam or dampness in the room.

Christian.

P.S. Bosch and Miele are both excellent makes. When comparing the two, I'm really comparing condensing and non-condensing models, not the brands.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In article , the q writes

Must admit that's why I like a tumble dryer, it gets rid of dog hairs on clothes. :)

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

In article , Christian McArdle writes

That's very useful Christian, I never thought about the room at the back for the hose, of course that'll be another reason why I ought to get a condenser! Best bit of advice for ages, thank you

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Some venting dryers, certainly the Miele, have a hose port at the back and a second and third one at the back on each side. Covers fit those not in use.

Assuming that the hole can be made in the wall behind the rear port, then it doesn't result in the machine projecting into the room at all.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Unfortunately, the hole was preexisting from a previous dryer, so this wasn't possible. If they drilled a new hole every time, the wall would look like Swiss cheese!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just avoid anything made by Hotpoint and you can't go too far wrong. Look at "Which" mag.

Reply to
IMM

Condensing dryers with a drain pipe are far better.

Reply to
IMM

Avoid super expensive makes like Meile. Mid range tumble dryers are so cheap, You can change them every 4 years and still be ahead financially and a new guarantee of 2 years each time if you go to John Lewis.

Reply to
IMM

In article , IMM writes

Well I had four dishwashers of various types over 10 years (inc. Bosch, Hotpoint & Phillips) and all of them broke on a regular basis and were impossible to maintain etc. So I bought a Miele which was no dearer than the mid-range ordinary ones and the difference is amazing. You can get to the drain easily, the make and layout is good and the washing is superb. So I assume that Miele will be better than Hotpoint or Bosch and worth paying the difference. You might be able to buy a new one and stay quids in but I want the reliability!

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

I don't think that you would be disappointed