Tumble dryer that senses dryness

Our tumble dryer is on its way out (3 years old-crap Hoover model..im never buying Hoover again!) Id like to replace it with one that senses that the clothes are dry as i suspect loads of energy is commonly lost through householders leaving their dryers on to ensure clothes are fully dry.

I've heard these sensors commonly fail..what's everyone's experience? Can anyone recommend a decent dryer that is likely to last and be economical?

cheers

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

I've had a Miele model that does this for well over ten years. It has had no problems at all apart from the power switch which was damaged on delivery. Clothes dryness is sensed and it switches off or turns down the heat, reverting to an occasional turn of the clothes to avoid creasing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Bosch Logixx: 4 years and still doing good.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

We have a Whirlpool with autosensor. It's not too bad... has several 'desired dryness' settings, ie 'Ready to Wear' 'Ready to Iron' etc but tends to underestimate dryness, ie laundry is sometimes still very slightly damp at the end of the cycle and needs a 20-min blast on non-auto to finish off. I still reckon it spends a hell of lot less time 'on' overall than our previous fixed-temperature model, though.

And (not unreasonably) it's hopeless if the load is mismatched; ie you don't try to dry towels and sheets at the same time.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The sensors in our AEG failed after a couple of years. We carried on using the ordinary timer - no problem, really. A few years later something crucial failed and the while the engineer was fixing that he replaced the sensors. They didn't last long.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Please can you say how long the occasional turn for anti-crease continues for on your miele? Our old Hotpoint continued indefinitely, which was great, the whirlpool we replaced it with stops completely after an hour or so, which means creased clothes by the time we get to it.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It runs indefinitely, I believe.

Reply to
Andy Hall

My old hotpoint did creaseguard indefinitely, which was good (apart from the beep you got unless you remembered to silence it) new hotpoint, BWD129 IIRC, doesn't seem to have it at all, but does have dryness sensor (iron/hanger/extra dry settings) as well as timer, seems ok, but not had it for very long.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Good oportunity to replace it with something better. Humidistatic dehumidifier in large wardrobe, you simply hang the clothes up straight from the machine and they dry all by themselves. Less energy use, less run cost, less space used up, less handling of the clothing etc required

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Does your Whirlpool behave in the same manner to mine (see my other post) with regards to not always drying completely (and we'd never use anything but the 'ready-to-wear' setting) ?

Just interested, as I'm not sure whether my expectations are too high or if I should have mine checked out while still under warranty!

David

Reply to
Lobster

We always use the ready to wear setting. Generally we don't mix types of washing, each load is pretty similar. Everything comes out dry, the only thing that causes a difference is if the filter is blocked, filter clean every use is essential, we have also found quite a lot of fluff gets past the filter, on ours the filter is a slot in thing just inside the door, if you take the filter out and look down you can usually find a whole heap of fluff down there. A Hoover and a long cable tie usually get it all out.

On our old Hotpoint (God rest its departed soul) we once had the situation that nothing was drying properly and fluff was coming out of every seam, it took a lot of searching to discover a pair of knickers that had got past the filter (it was the old type that lived at the back of the drum and could fall off) The knickers were stuck in the corrugated pipe with a ball of fluff round them, so no air could get past.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful