Trojans and PUPs

While probably true prior to Windows Vista, it is uncommon these days where widows UAC applies a similar security model as *nix with temporary elevation for privileges.

Linux on the desktop will be more secure since it represents such a small target group of users. At the server level though it is routinely compromised.

Many vulnerabilities don't even occur in the OS anyway - but elsewhere in the software stack.

In the last pwn2own contest (2021) there were successful compromise attempts against Windows, MacOS, Ubunto, and various virtualisation environments.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have had that on recent versions of raspbian... might be worth checking if the fix for that applies to yours:

If you edit:

/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/10-wpa_supplicant

search for "nl80211,wext"

Change it to:

"wext,nl80211"

Reply to
John Rumm

I connected my Wifi in a Zoran(Ubuntu) VM and the connection to the "weird SSID" on the right of the line of text below, was made OK.

That SSID, is a Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot, where the Wifi on that machine is put in AP Mode, and bridged to the Ethernet. It's a one-button click, but the status of the Hotspot did not come up properly initially.

The machine name is GREGORE. In the Mobile Hotspot in settings, it says one connection is made, and the IP is 192.168.137.205/24 . If I change the IP address too much, then I would have to widen the netmask on the subnet there.

I think you can do that from Powershell (but I don't know if I made any notes from the last time -- there's some enumeration number you have to know in Powershell, to tell it which one to adjust). When you adjust it that way, the computer does not remember that adjustment on the next boot.

In any case, each SSID you connect to in Linux, has a file created . And if you edit the file, the claim is you can reuse it. Right now, method=auto but method=manual might work.

sudo cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/'GREGORE 1651.nmconnection'

[ipv4] method=auto # Like Windows, this is the DHCP option Zoran/Ubuntu used.

This document explains a bit how you would replace method=auto .

method=manual dns=8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4; address1=192.168.137.101/24,192.168.1.1 <=== apparently you can have more than one address??? gateway=192.168.137.1

Someone claims they had to reboot for the new saved values in the file to take, as "restarting NetworkManager did not work". It's possible systemctl applied to whatever controls the Wifi, would make the computer suck-up the new info. Maybe if you kill NetworkManager, it just comes up and sniffs that "everything is working" and so it does not hammer anything.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

You can install the package for ifconfig, if you want to get back the traditional convenience.

It listed my Wifi as a systemd string with about 20 characters in it. When the articles on the web might refer to a Wifi as "wlan0".

Paul

Reply to
Paul

There is the possible issue.

Systemd renames interfaces according to their MAC addresses, sometimes.

Few other packages have caught up with this and are still looking for 'wlan0' or 'usb0' etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many thanks for the suggestions here. Because this is work, not play, I just needed it to *work* - so fixing the IP doing the trick is fine by me. At least I know I can leave it forever now. Unlike the Windows box it replaced which regularly flooded the hard drive with updates until it ran out of space. Presumably preventable if your GPO-fu is deep. However casual reading of support forums suggests that even when you disable updates, MS sneak shit in and eventually you will run out of disk.

Regarding weird-named adapters, I thought that came in a few years back ? I know I did an install and wlan0 and eth0 weren't there. The change being a mild layer of security in that an attacker can no longer be certain of the network adapter name (it had always been possible to rename them, but no one did). This would break a virus/malware that in order to be small and fleet did not have additional code to deal with such cases. However that isn't the problem in this particular case.

The WiFi on my HP laptop running Mint 20.3 has been rock-solid, while the WiFi on my (work) Dell Win10 machine has had the odd wobble (it hasn't happened for a while now, but out of nowhere the wireless adapter would just disappear, and Windows would never see it again until the (same) drivers were reinstalled a few times.

Reply to
Jethro_uk