triple sockets from a spur? Legal / advisable / safe?

sorry - another question - new house and a week off

I've seen triple sockets down the local DIY place and was contemplating swapping out some the the older single and double sockets with them. Unfortunately a most of the old wallpoints in the house are run as spurs from the existing ring main upstairs. Assuming I don't do silly stuff like connect up two fanheaters ande a microwave to one, are they a: okay / safe, and b: following whatever current electrical safety regs that exist?

Even if you all diss them on spurs, I'm assuming that if I use them as the standard on the new ringmain I'm putting in (one set of 3 in each of 4 rooms - shourt run of 8 m) the nthat at least is okay.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Irwin

Havn't looked at one of these recently, but last time I saw one it had a built in 13A fuse, so no different from plugging a 3 way extension into a single socket

Reply to
John Armstrong

For the new ring, why not just add more twin sockets? First, they are cheaper and secondly, they look much more acceptable.

Rob

Reply to
Kalico

All 3+ sockets are actually fused with a 13A fuse. So it comes down to what you intend to plug in.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

They are safer to install than twin sockets, because of the internal fuse limits current to 13A. A twin socket is fuse limited to 26A, although I believe you are allowed to apply diversity to bring it down to 20A.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle