Triax Multiswitch

It appears that our existing Triax multiswitch is about to fail completely.

I've been searching around and the latest versions have a terrestrial active/passive switch. Before I go ahead and order one, could anyone explain what this switch is about please?

I'll be connecting a quad LNB and a terrestrial aerial to it along with eight triplexed wall plates.

Reply to
Frank

The specification seems to indicate a 23db insertion loss (Subscriber loss) in terrestrial passive mode and a 0db insertion loss in active mode.

Active mode user a built in amplifier?

Reply to
alan_m

Nortmally A QUAD LNB will not work on a Triax Multiswtich. You need a QUATTRO LNB, unless the Multiswitch explicitly supports QUAD LNB's

Just looked up the datasheet of the triax 5x8 multiswitch.... and to my surprise, it does support QUAD LNBs

That passive - active switch is for an onboard filter & amplifier

When set to PASSIVE it will not amplify the terrestrial input and will NOT filter out 700 Mhz to 860 MHZ

When set to ACTIVE, it will filter the input signals to block 700 MHz to

862 MHz (which are being used by 4G & 5G phone masts AND will amplify teh terrestrial input signals by 23 dB.

So it all hinges on whether you already have a mast head amp or not, and what the current freeview signal levels are like and whether you have any problems with phone masts in your area.

Reply to
SH

Thanks.

No masthead amplifier and the signal on CH55 (746mHz) varies from poor to rotten at times.

Looks like I'll be switching the passive/active switch to active if I swap the multiswitch.

Reply to
Frank

Ch 55 is Com7 which is closing at the end of June so the rotten / poor com 7 will become non-existent!

Reply to
SH