Tree Stumps

I did that with an ash a couple of years back - 8 inch or so trunk. (It had Chalara, and was also a foot from next door's wall).

Digging it out wasn't so bad. But then I found I couldn't carry it away. I had to saw it up first. All hand tools.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

They may well resprout shoots unless you kill off or remove stumps. I just had 125 of them ground out.

Reply to
rick

That is called the tap root. It depends on the sort of tree you have. If they are from a habitat where the water table is usually low they tend to have tap roots. That is not to say that is all they have as they need the other roots for stability and also in some species to generate suckers. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A builder tried that round here. Trouble was the electricity supply cable to the existing house was caught up in the roots. Big bang and we and 4 other houses) had our electricity from generatora for 5 days.

Reply to
charles

(Haven't we had this recently?)

My answer then was: you need a trenching spade (spit): you can easily and accurately cut through roots with this, and then the stump is extractable.

If you want to leave the stump, then drill holes all round the top of it (1/4 inch will do, an inch apart) and brush weedkiller (glyphosate) liberally all over the top, making sure to fill the holes: this will kill the stump.

John

Reply to
Another John

I didn't plant them .... I just got rid of them

Reply to
rick

Brexit or a decade still bailing out the bankers?

Reply to
alan_m