tree root damage and insurance

Sorry a bit OT. I read somewhere of a home insurance company which will take pre-emptive action on neighbours with trees threatening damage, by writing to them politely and warning them of the potential risk and that they will be responsible for the costs if action isn't taken soon enough. Do they all provide this service or is it a particular company?

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

As the reluctant owner of a White Poplar (the leylandii of the deciduous world). I know about this.

It would be a very well organised company that wrote to people unless they were already dealing with a claim for someone nearby. This is in my experience always what initiates the process.

If you were to do nothing at all then they would consider legal action for the trespass of your tree's roots. This is a big effort on their part but if you seem totally unprepared to do anything then they would likely haver a good case and you would seem to the court as callous/selfish and likely to lose.

They may not like it but if you tell them what you are going to do they will likely accept this as you are making some effort and their case would be very much weakened. So when they tell you to remove the tree you say that you will control it they will likely accept this.

The key is not to be unnerved by their bluster but to remember that taking you to court is risky and expensive and they _really_ don't want to go there. So you say what you want and they will likely accept it.

Of course you might be posting as one who is threatened by others trees. I guess you could get quite a few insurers to write to your neighbours and 'put the frighteners on them'...

Reply to
Ed Sirett