Buying a Flat - Insurance, Subsidence & Underpinning Questions/Concerns

We are in the process of buy a flat, which is in a converted house, and about 100 years old. There are 4 flats in the block, with the share of freehold split across them.

As there were 4 flats in the converted house, our surveyor said that a full structural survey would be very expensive, and almost impossible to complete, as access to all parts of the building would be restricted therefore we opted for a homebuyer's survey.

The survey took place yesterday, and on speaking to the surveyor, some issues have come about.

There are some fairly minor ones concerning missing roof tiles etc, but the one which has made me very nervous about proceeding with the purchase is the mention of an insurance claim which has just been completed for the flat next door (which is in the same house) and the hallway.

It relates to some cracking which started in the walls 2 1/2 years ago, and the couple who live there put an insurance claim in.

The insurance company called in 3 separate structural engineers over the course of the next 2 years, and monitored the cracks. They said that underpinning was not required, and work on replacing/repairing some interior walls and redecorating was required.

In the last 3 months, the claim went through, and all the work on the next door flat and hallway has now been completed.

The reasons for the cracks appear to be:

- The house has clay foundations (as many London properties do in that area), therefore hot weather over the past few years could have caused it

- There was some shrubbery and a tree which have since been treated/removed

Our surveyor said that the work was remedial work, and that it required superficial work, such as replastering/painting etc, however our flat was unaffected.

When he looked through our flat he noticed 2 hairline cracks which he also said were superficial, and would just need a lick of paint, and warned against insurance claims for such petty work, as it does not look good on insurance record.

His only recommendation from the homebuyers survey was that we (the block), stay with the same insurance company going forward, to prevent any future insurance companies rejecting any future claim, and claiming the damage occurred before the were the insurer.

He also said that as we are paying for the insurance through the service charge, we should get a projection on future increases in the insurance costs.

I asked if this work would jeopardize the lender underwriting the loan, and he said it was "a storm in teacup, and not a problem"

Due to these insurance claim/recent ?subsidence' my main concerns are as follows:

- will this work/claim affect the price of the house, and its resale potential

- What are the chances of this recurring

- What's the chances of the house requiring underpinning in future (the surveyor said it's impossible to say, and this risk exist with any house of this age in that area)

- If underpining/future work is required, how can we protect ourselves against any costs

I also am considering getting a second opinion, or getting a surveyor to go through the 3 structural engineering surveys which have take place over the past 2 1/2 years - is this worthwhile?

Reply to
waz

You've not posted to the right type of surveyors, but...

Buildings move - especially all those Victorian / Edwardian properties built on London Clay. I personally would not bother with a second opinion. A few hairline cracks are nothing to worry about, especially now that the tree has been removed. If you went round every 100 year old property in London, you would be hard pressed to find one without a few cracks in the walls.

-- Kind regards Steve Bury

Reply to
Steve

Victorian buildings were often built with scanty foundations and cracks are not uncommon, even if only due to settlement.

The bit about the insurance company is very important in my opinion - you could have problems if you decide to change. You may also find it difficult getting insurance.

With regard to value/resale, talk to a valuer or an independent estate agent if you know one you can trust, but follow your instincrs at the end of the day. You do not have to buy this flat if you don't want to.

In any event you have should wait to see the written report, but it sounds as if the cracks are only superficial - certainly at the hairline stage nobody would worry and all the studies next door suggest that the property has been properly investigated.

I am not a professional or amateur surveyor, but hope these remarks are of use!

Reply to
Harry Ziman

SNIP

.

It may not be a bad idea to ask another insurance company if they would take on the risk of the property to assess the potential problems which "may" happen in the future. If they won't give cover then you would be well advised to walk away now.

Reply to
John

All surveyors cover their arses, if they are anything like the ones I've had dealings with, so if this surveyor is saying in his report that they are superficial, then I'd be more than happy to believe that he was telling the truth.

The professionals (including local authority searches) I was involved with gave so many caveats against this and that, I'm surprised anyone buys a house, a potential site of contaminated industrial land turned a former village blacksmiths shop, remedial bracing to our roof was seen as a negative, even with supporting documentation and building control approval and yes it was fine (even if the structural surveyor said that while covering his back against litigation).

If your mortgage company is happy to lend to you, then I wouldn't be worried, they baulk at giving money to problem properties.

Reply to
big al - Peoples Pal