Trailer Fridge Box ((Cheap) Alternatives to)

I am thinking of getting a fridge box to go on the front of my trailer. For the uninitiated this consists of a small metal cofin shaped box approx 4' wide, 2' deep and 2' high with a GRP lid which can be bolted onto the (extended) A frame on the front of a trailer tent or small trailer in order to put a camping fridge and other bits and pieces in.

The manufacturers of said (very pretty) items want approx 180 notes for such items, so i'm wondering if anyone can think of something (a little narrower would be fine)similar which would do the job just as well and ideally be available second hand (The original items are vary rarely sold second hand without there's an ecpensive trailer tent attached)

It don't have to be fantastically pretty, nor fantastically secure. But does have to be sufficently butch for the job without requireing me to fit extra strong springs on the car.

The only thought I have at the mo is some kind of steel tool store type box, but it might be a bit heavy and pricey.

Please don't suggest building things out of wod or metal, as I don't the necessary time at the mo (though i'm quite happy to assemble something and or bolt it on).

TIA & Chow

Chris - Two Sheds and one Shed like Wendy House - Holmes

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Is it this type of thing you're after Chris ?

BigWallop

No, sorry. I obviously didn't make myself clear. I already have the fridge (Visualise a very small chest freezer approx 24" wide x 18" deep x 18" high)

What I want is a strong(ish) box with a lid which I can bolt to the front of the trailer chassis and (gently) drop the fridge and some other stuff into. It will prolly need some weatherproof ventilation so that col air can get to the bottom of the fridge (which would be running off 12V) and hot air out of the top.

As there has been (surprisingly) little response here, i'll try a caravanning group as well.

One suggestion i've had from a friend who suffers from "Land Rover Disease" is a Military Surplus Ammo box, but I haven't been able to find mention of a sufficiently large one on the web.

The boxes designed for the job are as I said very pretty, and also rather large both for the size of trailer I have (would be wider than the main body, but not wider than the wheels) and bigger than I need (Though i'm sure I could soon find some more junk to take camping!)

Reply to
Chris Holmes

"so i'm wondering if anyone can think of something (a little narrower would be fine)similar which would do the job just as well and ideally be available second hand " [..]

a 3 draw office cabinet ?? lose the draws and you have a box container just need a lid, if it's too small you could use another for the lid to increase the height.

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

I'm sure I did start to think that way, but I was thinking 2 drawer 3 drawer is prolly a better shape.

I think I saw a rather sad one here the other day I shall go for a prowl round the site.

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Ah Ha !!!! With you now. Try contacting Fred :

supplies us with storage lockers and strong boxes and things. Very friendly and helpful, and also does second hand boxes and things for very cheap prices. Worth tellign them what you want to see if they can help.

Reply to
BigWallop

Turned out to be a 4 drawer and it would have taken quite a lot of modifying to do the job. I have managed to find a second hand unit for £90, which I think i'll probably go for,However, for those who come Google-ing after, and don't want to spend the money that conway, sunncamp,cabanon etc charge for their new units I did discover the following on an old Conway forum.....

stevehardy Unregistered User (2/21/02 8:46 pm) Reply Fridge box

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If anyone wants a real cheap fridge box give Wheelhouse a ring ,they are a company in hounslow and they have contico tuff boxes going at about £20.00 they donnt do mail order though phone number is 02085

703501 It measures 37"x21"x20" Ian Unregistered User (2/27/02 10:06 pm) Reply Front box

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Further to previous posts I used a Contico Tuff Crate which cost c £20. Haven't seen them in ANY of the DIY multiples lately, but as a Mgr of one of the larger DIY outlets I have to say that this is the type of thing we get in from time to time as a "Special Purchase" - rather than a regular all year round stock line. Contico are based in Cornwall, tel 01209 315222/fax 01209 313297 & I am sure would advise of stockists in your locality. I mounted mine on a Dexion (imagine large meccano) frame which attaches to trailer front and drawbar with three bolts - stays rock steady, but on arrival at site detaches inside of 5 mins so I can refit jockey wheel to aid manoeuvering of fully laden outfit.

Reply to
Chris Holmes

I mailed Fred, but he mailed back and said it wasn't really what they do. Could be I approached him wrong and he didn't want to get involved with one box for a "retail" customer, or maybe he's afraid of selling something not designed for the job in case the Police or H&S should come knocking some day.

Or maybe he doesn't have anything suitable.

Thanks for the link anyway, if you've had good service from him in the past it may be worth a faq recommendation as we're always getting people asking about crates to buy/hire.

Reply to
Chris Holmes

It's more than likely they don't have anything for this type of use Chris, because they usually give some sort of alternatives to certain needs and wants. I read your reply further up the thread and believe you've found something suitable (?) so good luck with it.

Reply to
BigWallop