Tradesman - Price markup on parts

Some of these, I've read, do BIY (Buy It Yourself) to stay under the threshhold and avoid expenditure, What happens in the case of faults I don't know - I'd ask for a headed and signed list to cover myself. Is uppose though that a sole trader at that turnover isn't offering insurance-backed warranties!

Reply to
PeterC

At one time we used to get invoices where the carriage was shown after the VAT had been added.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The problem, of course, is that a dispute can arise: was it faulty goods, or did the installer effectively break it?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Indeed. Luckily I have sufficient experience (if little knowledge) to spot borkage due to bodging - a lot of it very first-hand!

Reply to
PeterC

They may be treating that as a disbursement - i.e. purchasing carriage on your behalf as an agent, then passing the cost onto you. In those circumstance there is no need to show a breakdown of VAT on that item.

(carriage (as opposed to postage) is likely to be VAT rated anyway)

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm not sure that they routinely replace valves with attached tyre pressure sensors.

Reply to
alan_m

So were you also allowed to return the goods under the distance selling regulations/law?

Reply to
alan_m

This morning I attempted to buy directly from the Saxton Blades web site. I had problems with their checkout as it failed to accept any of my email addresses and wouldn't let me proceed without an email address it would recognise (this was not shopping as a "guest" customer and not as registered account customer). I gave up and decided to see what I could find on Ebay. Same item from the Saxton Ebay shop and cheaper without the hassle of filling in their USA orientated point of sales software questions/details.

Reply to
alan_m

I've met this with a US based website. Can't cope with .uk in an email address. Probably with .anywhere too.

Reply to
charles

I use varying email addresses, all with a plus sign '+' in them - my mail server has a rule to ignore this. This allows me to disambiguate where any spammish emails have originated.

The '+' sign is a perfectly valid character in a ll the RFCs, but I am constantly amazed at how many business's websites don't accept it in an email address. Probably some crappy bit of PHP that was written years ago and propagated like a virus.

I tend to let them know about this to give them a chance to fix it. If they don't or are unable to, that tells me something ...

Reply to
jkn

One I hate is where county is a required field. Don't think they exist in much of london these days. And all you really need is the full postcode and house number.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Balancing isn't essential for rear wheels. Don't they charge to dispose of the old tyre?

Reply to
Max Demian

I have sometimes inserted something absurd, and found it faithfully reproduced when the parcel arrived.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yup - I generally put in London twice. And it gets printed on the label.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I remember, when dictating my address saying "and that's in Surrey". It appeared on the label.

Reply to
charles

At one point, CPC upgraded [1] thweir website an required an extra line in my address - even though what was there was number, road, town county. I invented a name for our house (it has one over the door, so I just added "House" to the end - looks very grand.

[1] hollow laugh
Reply to
Bob Eager

I tell the tyre fitting place to put the old tyres in the back of my car.

Some colleagues have boats and always want tyres for their mooring...

So usually save the tyre "disposal" fees.

S.

Reply to
No Name

depends on how much you like replacing bearings.

And the state of you haemorrhoids

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've bought from both saxton blades and antler blades [compare snail mail addresses]

Reply to
Andy Burns

I just filled in one of their customer satisfaction thingys. I said the search engine on the website was s**te. That was me being kind, because after all s**te makes good fertiliser.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright