(Totally OT question): The effects of extreme cold....hypothermia etc

Alledgedly. People also alledgedly die of old age.

Well I have no harm come to me, my hands and feet work perfectly, and I'm always going off in the cold.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Why are you posting everything twice? You've become Uncle Repeater.

Reply to
R.G. Bargy

What a stupid question. There is no reason anyone would post anything twice. It's clearly (to anyone with any intelligence) a technical error.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

That's unusual, the cold normally keeps things fresh.

Reply to
Bod

Its bollocks obviously... (what else would you expect given the source?)

However its complicated by a number of factors to the extent that someone fit and active and able to move about, might survive for a reasonably long period (hours rather than days) even if naked and at -20 air temperature - especially if in a dry air environment with with no wind chill. Add some solar IR gain and that will also help greatly.

However nude with full exposure to the air, and no movement (other than shivering) and you are down to a couple of hours predicted survival time [1].

For someone elderly sat indoors in a poorly heated home even 10 degrees could prove fatal.

Heavy alcohol consumption and exposure is also often fatal at higher temperatures.

[1]
John Rumm

I break the recommended survival time rules regularly, by a huge amount.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Alcohol prevents frostbite.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Calories prevent running out of heat producing energy.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

How do they do that ?

whisky-dave

And protecting your fingers.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Which reduces the heat to your vital organs quicker.

Reply to
Bod

For a short time, but killing you quicker.

Reply to
John Rumm

Only if you're a wimp.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

You are Dr. Drivel AICMFP.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Careful, he might start with the "poetry" next...

Reply to
John Rumm