Totally OT - Cling Film

Yep. Perspex ! You can get decent cling film from a catering suppliers or wholesalers. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

A Tupperware container?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi all Just a daft question on the subject of cling film. Has anyone noticed it getting thinner lately? There was a time when, no matter what brand you got, it would pull off the roll fairly reliably. Now, all brands seem more inclined to tear away from the roll ends which is maddening when you are getting the sarnies ready last minute to head out the door. The film itself does actually feel thinner. Does anyone have recommendation for more rhobust product?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I think the non-microwave-safe variety has vanished from the scene. That was more stretchable and less likely to tear. It could leach plasticisers into food, when in contact with oils and fats in particular, and that maybe why it's gone.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If you shop around you will find Benedetti (sp?) stuff "that really does work" and it really does work. I am never buying the stuff that comes in boxes again. Do follow the instructions though, you must release the top to free the film from the cutter.

Reply to
dennis

Morrison's sell a plastic container with 250m (I think) of Clingfilm inside it.

The beauty of this device is that you open the lid, pull the length you want while the box stays where you put it. Close the lid and it cuts the film - perfectly - where you want. In a straight line. Put the box away ready for next time. £6.99 I think and worth every penny.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote

Thanks Mary I'll get "the one who shops" to look out for that - sounds ideal. Part of the problem may be the kids using the standard boxed product less than carefully and ripping it. I do find that the serrated blades on the boxes tend to dull quickly.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

That's the one I am on about.. really good.

Reply to
dennis

Poundland sell sandwich size bags on a roll - depending on which ones they have in stock you can get 500 or 750 bag rolls for a quid.

They are more reuseable than cling film too. I used to tell the kids that if they brought them home from school we would save almost 5p per month! Strangely, they weren't that impressed.

Reply to
OG

mogga

The trouble is that Tupperware generally doesn't hold your sandwich together as clingfilm does.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

And don't put them over your head kids...nor any of your pal's heads either .:-)

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Donno we get ours from CostCo, catering stuff and it is thicker than the= box of even old supermarket stuff we have. CostCo "Caterwrap" is 350mm wide x 250m long for =A33.75 inc VAT but was in May '06. We don't use a = lot of cling film...

Sandwiches go in fold top sandwich bags. I don't like the idea of such a= soft flexable plastic being in intimate contact with food for extended periods of time. You can also use the empty sandwich bag as a rubbish ba= g for chocy bar wrappers etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cut the bread thicker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We use Lakeland's film on giant rolls that last a year or two. No problem. It's in a wall-mounted box with a serrated cutting edge, that works reliably until right at the end of the roll, when things start getting tricky.

But for sarnies we've gone over to using Tupperware-style boxes (me) and used magazine mailing bags (her).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I bought one because it seemed to be good value but I like it so much that I've bought another for a daughter's birthday present (with other things!).

So far (months) it's cut cleanly, to the exct length I've wanted and with absolutely no shredding, twisting, distorting - all the frustrating things which happen with ordinary rolls.

If you do get one report on how you like it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, IIRC there was a scare about that, about 15 years ago?

David

Reply to
Lobster

It does if you make your sandwiches to fit.

Reply to
<me9

It's not gone away viz. newsnight a couple of nights ago. Wrt plastic bottles and food containers, packaging and labels.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Bignell