TOT Threatening letter from HMG

Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census form with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet access,

Go to

and select "start census"

If you want a paper form go to the same URL!

Reply to
alan_m

You omitted "or call 0800....". How many do you know with no internet

*and* no phone?

It is true there are some people with access to neither the internet nor a telephone. If they had the letter and do nothing they can expect a knock on their door (or tent flap or whatever). The question of a fine only arises if people still don't fill it in.

Reply to
Robin

...or call 0800 141 2021

It's on the page twice.

Reply to
Davey

or call the number that is given on the letter and also on the leaflet.

Reply to
Bev

No you didn't. You received a request to fill it in.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I would guess that 99.999% of internet connections are made through a phone line, whether POTS, fibre, or mobile. So it is likely that someone with no phone connection will have no internet connection. There might be one or two who use a satellite link, but I doubt there will be a significant number. In other circumstances, I suppose a person without internet connection might have been able to use a library or even internet cafe, but the pandemic has put paid to those.

Indeed. I have telephoned and requested a form to fill out. It was all automatic, using the ref number on the "threatening" letter.

Out of interest, has anyone yet seen the census form or what questions will be asked?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I got my invite from Starlink the other week, think I'll pass for now...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Haven't seen it yet but I believe you have to know what sex you are today.

They should have another question: "Are you Woke?" -- for which one of the answer tick boxes should be "Am I what?"

and another "Just f*ck off and grow up a bit, will you?"

John (not "woke", and by no means asleep)

Reply to
Another John

Thank you for the reminder, I have now entered my details after requesting a text message with the 12 character code.

Reply to
Michael Chare

but the letter doesn't tell people without internet access that they can get a paper form

you have to go to the website to find that out

Reply to
tim...

It's well worth filling in the census form accurately. Provision of local services is based on it.

To the extent local services are provided, of course.

Reply to
GB

yup, filled mine in earlier this week

compared to previous years it's a noddy questionnaire

The only contentious question was "please give a description of your job (or previous one if currently not working)" (120 words) which I thought was well OTT, and not particularly easy to usefully collate as a set of answers

Reply to
tim...

I've filled in the on-line form. Two days ago and I've already forgotten what the questions were.

Reply to
charles

My letter does. Perhaps Sir Ian is sending different letters to different folks.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Did mine yesterday (it can be altered if the situation changes before the due date). Questions about the household, property, education, religion, employment, car ownership come to mind.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

It's a shame that the 2021 Census is electronic: I presume that the few who complete the paper form will have it converted into an electronic state and the papers will then be shredded. In 2011 I left a message in the additional comments boxes for my great-great-grandchildren who might be searching their ancestry in or after 2111. This year I'd hoped to write something like "Marty! I'm stranded in 2021! Bring the DeLorean and come and get me!"

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

The OP's point was not everyone had internet acess to ask for a paper form. Mine was that a lot of people without internet access do have access to a phone and so can use that to ask for a paper form. In other words, I agree very few have internet but no phone but there is a significant minority who have no internet - about 4% of UK households last year - but very probably a phone.

Reply to
Robin

does yours not say you can get one by phoning the 0800 number it gives?

Reply to
Robin

You forgot the winking smiley...

Well, it might have been true 150 years ago when most people were born, lived, married, had their children, and died without moving from the place they were born. Today it's completely different and most people move around many times throughout their lives, often hundreds of miles, or abroad, and back again. A census every ten years is a pointlessly expensive exercise in obtaining and analysing out-of-date information. If its local services that information is intended to provide it could be obtained more accurately and quickly through county and district councils, and many other sources of information, such as GP surgery registration info (anonymised, of course). There is. of course, a vast amount of information already online for the majority of the population, which is far more up-to-date than any census will ever be.

So, despite previous UK governments saying they were going to stop the census (was it before the previous one or the one before that?), here we are again. It can only be for yet another form of official snooping - and isn't the UK already known around the world as one of the most snooping democracies around?

Countries do not need to perform a census on their whole population every ten years. The Netherlands have not had a census for 50 years; the Scandinavian countries base their data on registers and sampling. Other countries also base their data requirements on, for example, a 10% sample every year or two.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

No no no - you haven't been listening to The News on't wireless: the emaciated local services that we have become used to over the last decade or so (less and less, year by year) will look like a County Council Cornucopia compared to what we'll get in the future, after they start paying for Covid!

It'll all be self-help. And warring tribal factions, as the Police get cut to half of the half-size force they've been made in the last decade or so (see above).

Cheerful Charlie

Reply to
Another John