TOT Dolly Parton at Glastonbury

I watched that last night on BBC 4. Anybody know why the drummer was surrounded by clear plastic screens? Were they expecting somebody to shoot at him? Was it some form of acoustic screening? Was it to protect equipment it would be difficult to run off stage with in the case of torrential driving rain (although I would have thought a conveniently placed tarpaulin would be better for that)?

Reply to
Nightjar

"Nightjar

Reply to
Andy Burns

Did she get her t*ts out for the lads?

Reply to
ARW

Reply to
Nightjar

In article , Nightjar I watched that last night on BBC 4. Anybody know why the drummer was

Acoustic screens to help prevent him 'spilling' on other mics. Surprised you haven't seen them before on TV. You'd use something more effective in a recording studio - but those would block off the view of the drummer. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

On a similar vein I have sometime seen heavy metal bands use a mic stand which has what looks like a plastic tube alongside the microphone. Any ideas?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

that's a talkbox. Use the mouth as an acoustic cavity to modfiy the guitar sound

is the classic example...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Beat me to it sir!

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

Vocoder?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I THINK vocoder is a slightly different animal than a talk box. Not sure

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I stopped watching music regularly on TV when they dropped Pan's People from TOTP :-) Presumably then they either didn't worry so much about it or the other mics were less sensitive to the large sound peaks that I assume are the problem with percussion.

Reply to
Nightjar

TOTP was all mimed. I attended several of them (GF in the beeb)

Occasionally the singer sung to a backing track.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The "Talk box" was originally called a "Mouth Waa" from what I remember.

The tube contains a speaker, and by holding their mouth close to it and the microphone, the tonal qualities of the note can be changed in real time by the performer.

A vocoder is a box of electronics that uses generated tones to modulate a voice. The earliest use I remember was in Sparky's Magic Piano.

John Williamson

I was more interested in Pan's People :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

It's a VoIP codec;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

As popularised by Peter Frampton on his 1976 hit, "Show Me The Way"

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Weren't we all! (Poofters aside, I mean.)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

So was I - Especially Sue. (Or was she Legs and Co)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Cursitor Doom wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Many thanks for the info and I enjoyed the YouTube clip

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Reply to
newshound