TOT carbon footprint

Because children find it easy enough to defeat the shutter? As a "skill", it is not that different to chimpanzees fishing in ant nests using a twig.

Reply to
newshound

Standard advertising speak. "In tests, eight out of ten cat owners who expressed a preference said...."

Reply to
newshound

It is easier to defeat the shutter using the "safety" cover. Pull out, turn 180°, push "earth" pin into top aperture, leaving both live and neutral apertures open.

The dangers of these covers were raised years ago.

Reply to
Steve Walker

and their other problem is that often the pins are too thick - distorting the socket, so when you insert a 'real' plug you get a poor contact and overheating. Had to replace a socket in our Village Hall for this reason.

Reply to
charles

Currently, it seems as if lockers only make sense for some items, indeed Amazon won't deliver some items to lockers. I haven't worked out what the criteria are.

The problems you outline apply to any "sorting/post office". I don't see why lockers are fundamentally different.

Reply to
Pancho

Because were some child stupid enough to find a away to defeat the shutter and stick a flick knife in the live, the nursery would be liable for negligence, and their third party insurance wouldn't pay up.

Same as the pill containers that small children cant open that old people cant open either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Smart meters *could* save you up to £50 a year, "...

...But will save us up to £100 a year and probably cost you £100 as well...sotto voce

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wasn't one of the safety concerns that the pins on the safety plugs were not tapered at the tip and could damage the sockets when forced in. They were not an electrical item and not subject to any standards.

Reply to
alan_m

Have you tried to open a bottle of bleach for the first time. The tops seem to be welded on :)

Reply to
alan_m

But that is walkable, and a mere stroll. Who in their right mind would drive that distance ?.

Reply to
Andrew

You don?t need a Smart Meter to check you consumption, just a pencil and paper to read you meter etc.

As for paying for a Smart Meter, I thought they were installed free, or more exactly everyone pays regardless of having one or not.

Of course, they only save you money if you either get a better tariff by having one or reduce consumption. You can do the latter without a smart meter.

I?m dubious ( to put it mildly) about Smart Meters and, until I see a reason to have one, I am avoiding them.

Reply to
Brian

It may depend on the size or weight of the package.

Reply to
alan_m

And, in my case, how painful my osteoarthritic knees are. Some days that distance would just not be possible, without dosing up on painkillers first.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I was thinking more of the games that the CPC packers used to play. They seemed to have a competition to see who could pack the smallest item in the largest box :)

Reply to
alan_m

And medicines....... the first thing I do when I get my lot from the pharmacy is take out all the pill strips, put them in one packet and throw the rest of the packaging away.

Reply to
Eusebius

The first thing I do is crack them all open and distribute the pills into my pill carriers. Recycle the boxes and leaflets and throw the empty strips away.

Reply to
Tim Streater

+1 I have enough pill carriers for around 10 weeks supply and repeat prescriptions are around every two months. The cardboard boxes and leaflets go to the compost bin and the plastic/foil strips go to general waste.

Why can some manufactures get 28 pills in two strips in a small box while others have 7 pills per strip and use a box 8x larger? The NHS could save a fortune not having to transport near empty boxes:)

Reply to
alan_m

And you think a child who can manage that can't remove a dummy plug?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

My vote goes to a jar of Tesco pickled gherkins.

Had to hold it in the wood vice, and use two strap wrenches to undo the lid.

I laugh at those ads which show a tool for removing the lids easily. Without showing how you stop the jar turning.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

To make up my dose, I need two different size pills (generic) per day.

They come in strips of 14, but either 7+7 or 4+3+3+4

And I rarely get both boxes with the same layout.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News