TOT - bags for life or "bags for life"?

The alleged deal was that if you bought the expensive and strong bag, then the store would replace it when it wore out and recycle the old one. Forever.

Bag for life.

Recently stores stopped providing a "bag for life" (see the difference?).

Strange how a set of quotes can change the meaning from a statement to a mere suggestion.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Just as most of my "bags for life" are getting worn out.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There is a claim that on average every household has around 50 bags for life.

The amount of thick plastic bags people are now purchasing as single use items is almost equivalent to the amount of plastic previously used in the thin give-away bags.

Some outlets have replaced the thin plastic bags with thicker stronger version since they started charging for bags - these are not the so called bags for life.

Reply to
alan_m

Does changing punctuation vary a legal obligation? I would argue that a term that relies on punctuation would be an unfair contract term (unless there is small print to define the meaning of 'for life').

Reply to
Scott

punctuation - or lack of it - keeps lawyers in business

Reply to
charles

They never explained whose "life" they meant. Not the shopper's, as there was nothing stopping you from leaving them to your heirs in your will. Perhaps the lifetime of the scheme. Like the Scotch videotape scheme (advertised by a skeleton) which you could send back for replacement if they failed - I did once - which was the lifetime of the format.

Where I live people use "bags for life" to dispose of rubbish; if clean, I rescue them from the communal bin to use and exchange when damaged; I don't think I've paid for a shopping bag in my life.

Not surprising some shops (like Waitrose) have given them up. I would have thought they could just increase the price from 10p to 50p or £1, to maintain the scheme.

I don't think the expensive, thick (jute?) bags can be exchanged. I don't know how long they last.

Reply to
Max Demian

Is the period the life of the bag or your life or an implied saving wildlife on the planet?

Reply to
alan_m

I think you would need a linguist as an expert witness if you wanted to put forward that argument.

Reply to
Scott

And a cunning linguist at that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The woven bags for life make excellent rubble sacks, and when they wear out the stores replace them.

Reply to
GB

Sainsburys stopped supplying small plastic bags for loose veg+ fruit a long time ago, but they still have paper bags for bread rolls and things, so some canny people are using those for their apples@30p etc, because 6 carefully selected Braeburns at 30p each are a far better deal than £1.80 for a plastic bag (!!) of 6 tiddlers.

Reply to
Andrew

G and g mean something entirely different if followed by 'uaranteed'

Reply to
Andrew

ASDA still doing it. I have a fine collection and regularly point to a ripped one and get a new one for free. Last time was this week.

Reply to
mm0fmf

50!

I thought we had a lot but it is no where near 50. We keep a few in each of

2 cars, a few in the motorhome and the ones for the shopping run. Senior Management likes to buy ?special? ones now and then ( The M&S pig was the last one I recall- women.)
Reply to
Brian

The figure is based on the number of such bags sold each year and not necessarily if they are all kept and stored in the house.

1.5 billion bags for life sold each year in the UK and 28 million households.

The problem seems to be that the majority of people are going to shops without bags and at the check-out are selecting the stronger bags for life and using them in the same way as the one use bags of old.

In the days of free plastic carrier bags in this household they had a second use before being discarded - as bin liners. I seem to remember reading that when the Ireland adopted the same plastic carrier bag policy the sale of other plastic bags, such as bin liners, increased.

The question that should be asked - has it made any difference to the consumption of one use plastic? There is no point in claiming a 95% reduction in the use of thin plastic bags if the equivalent weight of plastic is still being discarded in the form of bags for life.

I have noticed with some frozen food that the plastic bag in the box has been discarded. However, the box is now plastic coated cardboard which is a PITA when composting cardboard as I do. The cardboard rots down more slowly but leaves the plastic coating intact.

Reply to
alan_m

My bags for life are made from a sort of woven material. I'd guess a sort of reinforced paper with a waterproof coating. They certainly have a decent life - I've not had to replace one yet. And keep them in the car too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

For the past decade I've had this type of laundry bag for shopping. There are usually half a dozen in the boot of my car.

I find that they last around 5/7 years (if kept out of UV)

There is one the size of a normal shop carrier bag but because it has side panels it holds more than a typical carrier bag. If purchasing check the dimensions as some sellers without the full range of sizes will designate their offering as "small/medium/large" but the small may be a LOT larger than the small size from a supplier with a greater range of sizes.

Reply to
alan_m

I would argue this would be an unfair contract term as such a distinction would not be known to or understood by the 'reasonable man' entering into a consumer contract.

Reply to
Scott

If you visit a certain kitchen supplier, they'll give you an insulated cool bag or two.

Andy Burns

Preferably on the top deck of the Clapham Omnibus.

Reply to
David