Too many gadgets

I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station warning - no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting warmer upstairs and found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up battery warning, on its way out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Pah! Wait until you take get the ladder, remove the mains, interlinked heat alarm off the kitchen ceiling, and *then* find it's the CO alarm that someone stuck at the back of the shelf of cookery books that's beeping.

I blame BT for starting it with those bloody Trimphones.

Reply to
Robin

I've heard some parrots and other birds can immitaite a fire alarm now that would be bloody annoying.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That would be my first guess. Even my el cheapo one does this. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Did you know them bloody trimphones had a radioactive gas in a glass tube behind the dial? It is apparently now illegal to do such things. I've never heard of anyone being injured by a trimfone.

Soon unfortunately, some internet connected devices like home automation devices, wahing machines fridges all bleep different bleeps if they loose the wifi signal. My current dumb waher bleeps for errors as well but luckily most of them are door not closed, filter clogged in any case so there is little choice to check! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It is.

Reply to
harry

Could be worse, they could imitate the wife.

Reply to
ARW

Err no. Americium-241 (241Am) is an isotope of americium. Like all isotopes of americium, it is radioactive. And it is used in smoke alarms.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Worst search & find I had was when son was staying over xmas, he is in RAF and they they use white noise for their children to block out aircraft noise taking off. So I could hearwater running searched the house top to bottom (minus childs room) checked the loft nothing. After 2 days I asked son if he could help. He pissed himself laughing when he explained it was a white noise of water running to get his son to sleep.

Reply to
ss

We have quite a few Bosch appliances, and they all have the same beeper module.

Freezer, oven, kettle, washing machine, tumble dryer...

Reply to
Bob Eager

The gas was probably tritium (radioactive isotope of hydrogen) and you can still get glass tubes filled with it, for example:

Gareth

We had an intermittent beep. If we were in the living room, it sounded like it was in the kitchen and vice-versa. It took us days to track down to the chip-reading cat flap in the back door!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

There's a wild bird around here that does a pretty good impression of a trimphone.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes there does seem to be a problem with the amazon devices skill for sleep sounds. The main issue is that the sample rate or compression in the sounds is too poor and you get a continual swizzling sound rather than a his with anyting like babbling brrooks or white noise. It was a good idea, I'm sure but pooly implimented. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Panasonic do much the same. In this day of tech, I'd imagine some variation in sound would be very easy and cheap to do. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, I noticed when recently changing the battery in one of those remote mains switch radio things that it bleeped when I put a new battery in it, however if it was meant to bleep when the battery went down, it failed miserably as when I changed it you had to be within 6 inches of the switch for it to work. and no it did not beep when you pressed its button either. Mystified really by some of the tech. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My neighbours son (4 years old) done a good impression of postman pat and phoned the fekcin fire brigade. The funny part was his dad was a policeman and his best mate was a fireman who happened to be on duty who phoned his mate on the way to the `false alarm`to let him know his house was on fire (which it wasnt)

Reply to
ss

Now you have scared harry letting him know you can get highly radioactive stuff (short halflife) on the internet.

Reply to
dennis

Like socks you mean as I'm sure my socks must have a half life because I buy them in pairs and one disapears !. :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well some socks will be radioactive, wool based ones probably are.

Reply to
dennis