Too many gadgets

I have just spend nearly an hour trying to track down the source of an occasional double beep every couple of minutes, from somewhere in the house. Mobile phones - no, handline phones - no, weather station warning - no, laptop -no, Pi - no, a clock somewhere -no, getting warmer upstairs and found it. Linked mains fire alarm system back up battery warning, on its way out.
On 23/07/2018 13:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Pah! Wait until you take get the ladder, remove the mains, interlinked heat alarm off the kitchen ceiling, and *then* find it's the CO alarm that someone stuck at the back of the shelf of cookery books that's beeping.
I blame BT for starting it with those bloody Trimphones.
--
Robin
Did you know them bloody trimphones had a radioactive gas in a glass tube behind the dial? It is apparently now illegal to do such things. I've never heard of anyone being injured by a trimfone.

Err no. Americium-241 (241Am) is an isotope of americium. Like all isotopes of americium, it is radioactive. And it is used in smoke alarms.
--
The reason you think government is the solution is because you think freedom is
the problem. But the truth is that government ensures that the most evil,

On 23/07/2018 17:02, Brian Gaff wrote:

The gas was probably tritium (radioactive isotope of hydrogen) and you can still get glass tubes filled with it, for example:
On 23/07/2018 22:23, Gareth wrote:

Now you have scared harry letting him know you can get highly radioactive stuff (short halflife) on the internet.
On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 14:58:21 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

Like socks you mean as I'm sure my socks must have a half life because I buy them in pairs and one disapears !. :-)
On 24/07/2018 15:28, whisky-dave wrote:

Well some socks will be radioactive, wool based ones probably are.
On Monday, 23 July 2018 13:40:04 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I've heard some parrots and other birds can immitaite a fire alarm now that would be bloody annoying.
On Monday, 23 July 2018 15:34:32 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

It is.
On 23/07/2018 15:34, whisky-dave wrote:

Could be worse, they could imitate the wife.
--
Adam

On 23/07/2018 15:34, whisky-dave wrote:

There's a wild bird around here that does a pretty good impression of a trimphone.
SteveW
On 23/07/2018 23:05, Steve Walker wrote:

My neighbours son (4 years old) done a good impression of postman pat and phoned the fekcin fire brigade. The funny part was his dad was a policeman and his best mate was a fireman who happened to be on duty who phoned his mate on the way to the `false alarm`to let him know his house was on fire (which it wasnt)

Must be a pretty old bird. ;-)
--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

Lots of old birds here, we are surrounded by bungalows!
As to the flying trimphone, until now I have assumed that it was a purely natural call, but who knows?
SteveW
Steve Walker wrote:

Perhaps Martyn Rowlands made the trimphone imitate his favourite bird call?
That would be my first guess. Even my el cheapo one does this. Brian
--
----- --
On 23/07/2018 16:58, Brian Gaff wrote:

Worst search & find I had was when son was staying over xmas, he is in RAF and they they use white noise for their children to block out aircraft noise taking off. So I could hearwater running searched the house top to bottom (minus childs room) checked the loft nothing. After 2 days I asked son if he could help. He pissed himself laughing when he explained it was a white noise of water running to get his son to sleep.

Surprised it didn’t have the side effect of making him piss the bed.