Toning down high gloss paint

I painted my large metal shed yesterday for the first time in 25 years. Old paint was starting to flake in places but had faded a lot and was very flat. I used Hammerite garage door pain in chestnut brown but now find its extremely high gloss and really stands out. I know that it will tone down over the years but I'm trying to think of something a bit quicker (without painting it again).

I was thinking of spraying it with an aerosol matt lacquer. Is this likely to work?

Cheers.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I would expect so. (Not done it mself though)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Short term yes,but it will get dandruff in a while I suggest as its not going to key to the underlying paint I would imagine.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks Brian (and NT). I think you are probably right about the lacquer dandruff scenario. I've decided to leave it as is and screen most of it with climbers.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Go over it with a yard brush and a slightly abrasive cleaner (Cif?)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

this definitely works. Or put a layer of clear matt coat on top

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher