Toilet Seats

Mine is a plastic seat with plastic fixings underneath. It keeps slipping dispite me tightening the fixings several times.

Is there a way to combat this, new fixings perhaps??

thanks again Sam

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Fit a wooden one. Warmer, More secure (Usually) and looks nicer

Reply to
RW

As well as the hinge problems that are common, this sometimes seems to happen if the "bumpers" that touch the rim are not well aligned. Check. Unfortunately it can be difficult to replace/reposition them on a plastic seat - usually at least possible with a wooden seat. For a true bodge, you could (temporarily, I hope) use some ordinary silicone sealant to form new bumpers. Let it set well *right through* before use.

Reply to
Rod

Use Loctite (available from motor spares shops) on the threads just before tightening the nuts.

Reply to
Adam Funk

You need a good soft grippy something between the hinges and the pan. The supplied plastic things are too hard. I've used bits of grip mat to reasonable effect.

Not 100% but that is down to the rim of the pan being slightly dished in and new seat having horizontal bump bits so there is quite a twisting force on the seat hinges.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The holes in the pan (around the bolts) need to be filled with Silicone to stop the bolt assembly from moving about.

Reply to
John

I tried this. The studs snapped off completely rather than coming undone. I know which I would rather happen.

Reply to
Mark

B & Q do a three piece wooden loo seat for only about =A37 which has a very different way of fitting - the third piece of wood being screwed to a metal and plastic frame that seems to be far more secure in the two holes. So far my two haven't loosened or slipped at all. They are only available at the bigger stores - and now I check on the website I can't find it at all!!!!

Keith

Reply to
k.dunbar

Seconded...this is the only proposed solution that actually worked on ours Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
Ian

Since I decided to buy only those toilet seats that come with a bar joining the two hinges together, I haven't had any problems.

You can buy the hinge set separately for £6.99 plus postage on the well known auction site. It's worth it to avoid all the messing about with the cheaper, inadequate hinges.

Reply to
Bruce

Oh! I've never had that problem. Were the studs plastic too?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Which Loctite did you use? There is quite a range, some allow disassembly others don't (or put up a damn good fight...).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They were metal. I would assume that plastic would be even worse.

Reply to
Mark

It was the blue threadlocker.

Reply to
Mark

The one I've used (the only one I have) is Loctite 243 "Nutlock" (not for FNARRing), which is red.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Sorry to hear that. I've never had screws, studs or bolts shear as a result of Loctite (although I've seen them shear from rust). If I had, I would've advised caution. This must be a YMMV situation.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I guess I shouldn't have bought cheap tat from Homebase or B&Q ;-)

Reply to
Mark