Toilet Plops!!

We are working in a 3 bed end of terrace house and the client is trying to work out a sensible way of muffling toilet noises when guests are around. We just said sing louder but she was not keen.

Any ideas ??

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

insulation under the floorboards...preferably rockwool

Reply to
Phil L

This is what we thought, but was not sure if it would work. Thanks

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

The method for soundproofing is slightly different than laying loft insulation.. You'd need to take up the floorboards and affix a batten (two inches up from the ceiling) to the inside of each, on top of this batten affix chicken wire (wire mesh) so that there is a gap below it to the ceiling below, this is then filled proud of the joists with rockwool, so that when the floorboards go back down, the rockwool is compressed - if you didn't have the chicken wire it would cause bulging/sagging in the ceiling below, this is about the best soundproofing you are going to get, short of spending a fortune on timber and granulated rubber.

Reply to
Phil L

i always put a bit of paper down the loo first, stops splashes too!

Reply to
Gav

where is the noise is coming from ? Is the sewer sucking water from your loo basin when the neighbours flush, or is it through the wall from next door's loo. If the latter, the soundproofing needs to be applied to the party wall rather than to the floor. Quickly fashion a studding wall from old toilet rolls and double sided sticky tape and fix on the party wall.

Reply to
john2

You dont give us much clues to work with, but I'll guess the prime problem is (most likely) a wood framed stud wall. Removing the PB will make it possible to stagger the studs slightly, only needs to be by half an inch, so that each PB side is fixed to different studs. This means no direct hard path from one side to the other for sound. Also beefing up the uprights helps. Keeping existing uprights for one side of PB and adding a new set for the 2nd side is good if you can get them into sensible places for the PB sheets.

This method means losing any horizontal noggins, or at least losing nearly all, if you must have one eg for a sink.

Fill space with rockwool and replace PB with 12mm, not 9. And take care about gaps, the smallest of gaps can really increase sound transmission.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Throw some toilet paper in the bog first before crapping. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Dang! I knew I should have patented that.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Tsk, women...

A nice noisy extractor fan linked to the light switch, which would also keep her happy by removing nasty niffs?

David

Reply to
Lobster

This is too much lol

Just buy a bathroom radio and stick it to the tiles by the carsey.

I've got one that looks like a pequin...you lower its arm for stations,push its nose for on/off, pull the other arm for mw/fm. ;-)

And no i dont spend half hour on the carsey.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

And which bit of its anatomy is volume?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ah yes forgot that, you twiddle its foot.

Or was you thinking of something else. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Here's the little blighter

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Poor grouting all over,but I'm not too bothered when I'm contemplating and listening to some music.

Ps do you know your left from right. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yes, do you?? That's why I said under HIS left wing, not under the left as you view it!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

I was wondering whether penguins had anything else ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from Owain contains these words:

Well, it appears to be smiling...

Reply to
Guy King

There always is a problem with anything left wing....

Reply to
Andy Hall