Toilet help

Bit of a odd post well may be not.

Basically when I flush the toilet water flushes about halfway around the toilet the back end, but around the fornt nothing.

I've tried toilet duck around the front bit, and domestos incase of limescale. But I have no idea why no water is coming down the front ?

Anything I can do to fix this ?

The toilet was left for about a year and a half before I moved in. The landlord is satified it is working correctly and will not change it.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

If it is limescale blockage, can you apply some acidic substance?

Now a strong acid like sulphuric could work but would run off. You want something to get to work on the limescale (if that is what it is). Maybe "paint on" a gel limescale remover such as LimeLight in the areas that seem blocked. Can you (with rubber gloves on) run your finger around the rim to feel where the water should be coming out and whether there is a physical obstruction rather than limescale?

Clive

Reply to
Clive

If it is limescale blockage, can you apply some acidic substance?

I was thinkign I needed something more aggresive

Now a strong acid like sulphuric could work but would run off. You want something to get to work on the limescale (if that is what it is). Maybe "paint on" a gel limescale remover such as LimeLight in the areas that seem blocked. Can you (with rubber gloves on) run your finger around the rim to feel where the water should be coming out and whether there is a physical obstruction rather than limescale?

I'll have a try in the morning. as water is getting everywhere else I can only guess its a physical blockage of limescale or something. Perhaps a kinda brush on a wire behind the lip might help to free up anything stuck behind there.

Although the paint on gel stuff sounds good.

Clive Thanks for the post clive given me some ideas.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

First try some power harpic. If that doesn't work then flush several times and use

you can get it from most good independent ironmongers.

Reply to
James Salisbury

"Matthew.Ridges" wrote

As TMH has hinted, if the toilet is one of the new water saving variety, there is actually no requirement under modern standards for the flush to completely rinse the bowl! Yes I know this seems counter intuitive and totally unhygenic, but I have a similar problem (maybe not to the same extent) with an Ideal Standard Alto pan. Basically, there is a triangle at the front of the bowl that doesn't get rinsed and this is within the current regulations. If you need one that does a thorough job when buying, you need to specify a self-cleaning pan (too late for me grrrr).

From what you say though, yours is probably more serious still and needs some cleaning measures as suggested by others.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Had the same issue once. The pipe from the cistern down to the bowl had a plastic 'diffuser' on the end, which helped throw the water around the rim. This had come off the end of the pipe.

You could confirm this by strategic use of a mirror at the back of the bowl looking up under the rim - could just see it. Alternatively shove a finger up at the back of the bowl and you could feel something loose and rattling around.

Re-fixing was simply a case of pushing it back onto the end of the downpipe, but that involved freeing the toilet bowl from the cistern so you could pull it forward a bit and get at the end of the downpipe from the back.

Reply to
Andrew Baker

Take a photo of underneath the front lip to see if the holes are blocked. Use flash and macro option. Use the wrist cord so you don't drop the camera!

Reply to
Matty F

I would try phosphoric acid solution, very effective on limescale and probably much easier to get hold of than sulphuric acid. Used in hydroponics to lower PH. Search ebay for 'ph down'.

Reply to
BodgeIt

easiets is hydrochloric..'brick' or 'patio' acid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , BodgeIt writes

geoff