To RCD protect or not to RCD protect (a hopefully simple question)?

Now you've confused me >:-/

My problem was with "Z" who was apparently saying that whereas you'd normally use 2.5mm cable on a 16A circuit, if it were Pirelli cable then

1.5mm is sufficient. TBH 1.5mm T&E should be ok for 20A under method 1 whatever the manufacturer.

I threw MICS in because I am aware (Table 4J1A) that it has a somewhat higher current-carrying capacity than 70C PVC T&E and wondered if he had been confused. I might go so far as to allow 90C cables a higher capacity (more tables)... but there are plenty of manufacturers other than Pirelli producing those :-)

Isn't LSF cable rated exactly the same as PVC of similar construction? Never used your Flame Shielded stuff, though I have seen it, but I can't find it in the regs either. Does it come under MICS?

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

You're actually better treating the cables as being the same as PVC T&E Martin. For safety sake on the circuits you're designing anyway, it's best to use the tables for the plain T&E cables.

Reply to
BigWallop

In article , Martin Angove writes

What does that mean?

In the trade Pirelli refers to cable of a fire retardant nature such as FP200/gold, Fire-tuf, fire-tec and their ilk.

Mineral Insulated (MICC) you mean?

No, I'm not confused.

Yes but generically it is referred to a Pirelli whether Pirelli, AEI, Delta or anyone else makes it.

Yes, if you are referring to it's only having an insulant with low smoke and fume properties with nothing else different. I avoid PVC/PVC cable if at all possible particularly that T&E Brits seem so keen on.

What is flame shielded? Pirelli you mean? :-)

? My regulations are in the vehicle. Pirelli.co.uk/fp has datasheets on FP200 Gold and FP Plus

In message , Z writes

It means he's welsh and, for some reason, wants to advertise the fact

Reply to
geoff

Fun or merriment according to my dictionary

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Welsh, please - note the initial capital :-) Cymro Cymraeg hefyd.

It's a sign-off I've been using for years and one of these days I'll probably get bored with it and find another one, but it'll do for now.

As well as Andy's explanation of "fun or merriment" (but much more than that) it is also a contraction of "hwyl fawr" which is the Welsh equivalent of "goodbye", i.e. akin to "'bye".

If my Welshness offends you, please feel free to ignore me. It's a trick the English have been using with the Welsh for some centuries and which we are only now escaping from.

Actually, half my ancestors aren't actually Welsh at all, though they are at least Celts - the Angoves (an Gof, the Smith) are Cornishmen. Except for the South Africans, Canadians, Americans and wine-making Australians ;-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

In message , Martin Angove writes

Sorry, I don't tend to do capitals, in the same way I don't often use full stops at the end of an email

Not in the least, being a borders man

Can we still shoot you within the confines of hereford cathedral on a sunday ?

I reserve the right to take the piss

Reply to
geoff