To RCD protect or not to RCD protect (a hopefully simple question)?

On 20 May 2004 10:06:02 GMT, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk strung together this:

You know, them, they're everywhere and know our every move!

I'll concede that one then as I never said you can't do it, put as many 20A radials in as you want, I'm not going to stop anyone.

Sort of, depending on which way you read the question.

Reply to
Lurch

What exactly is wrong with a single pole switch ? The earth is hard connected to the neutral back at the consumer unit anyway and so the casing is still connected. Either the regs should demand a 3P switch/removable plug or allow single pole switches for fixed appliances.

Reply to
G&M

Reply to
Wheelbarrowbob

I agree with you, as far as i am aware the UK ( possibly Australia ) is the only country to have fused 13A plug tops on a 32A ring. If i did a self build etc i would have each room on its own 20A radial ( kitchem 32A ring). in the event of a fault makes tracing it easier, easy life !

Reply to
Wheelbarrowbob

[...]
[...]

Just to confirm that - note table 6F (OSG) or 4D5A. Even under installation method 6 (in conduit in insulation) 2.5mm cable is rated at

20A. Of course, if you're going to stuff it into the conduit with half a dozen other circuits, or run it next to the heating pipes then you might need to think again :-)

Oh yes, and don't forget the derating for rewireable fuses... in this case according to my calculations even a 15A fuse is pushing it, but we're talking about MCBs here presumably.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:26:28 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "G&M" strung together this:

The regs say DP.

You should never ever under any circumstances even contemplate placing a switch in the earth\cpc cable.

Reply to
Lurch

All the major additions I have done to our wiring have been radials. I've kept the two existing rings but our studies (full of computers etc.) have their own 20 amp radials, as does the utility room.

Reply to
usenet

Umm... can you enlighten me why Pirelli cable should be so much better rated than ordinary? The only thing I can think of is that you are referring to MICS cable...?

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Or LSF (low smoke and fumes) or Flame Shielded cable (commonly used in the installation of fire alarms).

Reply to
BigWallop

Really, is that right? I was under the impression that having RCD protection was for added general safety in the home, is that not right? Are you saying that, for example, in a non-ground-floor flat (where there is a zero likelihood of using portable equipment outdoors) it is pointless spending the extra on installing an RCD-protected consumer unit?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Agreed - but I do wonder if the regs have lost the plot here.

Then why can you buy 3 pole switches with one pole marked "E" ?

Reply to
G&M

switch/removable

Decided to check myself and these are used for fan isolation. Quite why these are OK to switch the earth is another mystery of course.

Reply to
G&M

Usually they switch L1, L2 and N.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On 21 May 2004 11:55:30 -0700, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) strung together this:

Yep, certainly is.

No, and yes. An RCD does offer additional safety but isn't required unless you're likely to be running power outdoors from the sockets in question. Obviously in the case of a shower it is highly unlikely that it will somehow become 'portable' and 'outdoors'!

Well, not pointless as such, it does offer additional protection, a common misconception, held by quite a few electricians too! An RCD isn't 'required' in such circumstances. At my house I have some of the downstairs sockets on an RCD but as most of the outside has a socket conveniently located somewhere nearby it's not really neccesary.

Reply to
Lurch

On Fri, 21 May 2004 20:19:11 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "G&M" strung together this:

You can't, you must be looking at it wrong. Fan switches are for L, Switched L, and N. The E is meant to be continuous throughout, with no switches. Have another good look at your switch.

Reply to
Lurch

"G&M wrote | > Then why can you buy 3 pole switches with one pole marked "E" ? | Decided to check myself and these are used for fan isolation. | Quite why these are OK to switch the earth is another mystery | of course.

Fan isolators are 3 pole because they switch - permanent live - switched live / trigger - neutral

on fans that have a timer over-run trigged from the lightswitch.

They should *not* switch the earth, and I don't know why one pole is labelled E. It's extremely misleading and irresponsible IMHO.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well that's identified that the switch I have *isn't* a fan switch.

WTF it is though I'm not sure but having just checked with a meter it definitely switches the connection from E to Eload as well as L to Lload and N to Nload. It's a standard looking switch with no neon, front lead connection or fuse. Any suggestions ? (other than bin it :-)

Reply to
G&M

On Fri, 21 May 2004 23:07:46 +0100, "G&M" strung together this:

Well. you've baffled me! Is it definitely for the UK market?

Reply to
Lurch

together

Looks like a standard MKS 'clone' and I don't tend to buy electrical fittings while abroad. But it might have come from some strip-out or other. Unless there's a gallery of horrors somewhere I think this goes in the bin in case somebody uses it.

Reply to
G&M

In article , Lobster writes

Absolutely. Minimum requirements are exactly what they are- minimum requirements.

Zero? you'd be surprised what I have seen being lowered out of upper levels of multis.

RCD protected consumer units are a waste of time IMO. RCBOs are getting a lot cheaper.