Time of year

IMHO kids are much less likely to have accidents going to school in the dark than messing about with their mates in the dark after school.

Only slight snags with the hour being further forward would be: still being hot when going to bed in summer having more mornings when the ice needed scraping off the car in winter

Reply to
Invisible Man

Eccentric "mucking about" is the British way (and long may it continue!)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Many years ago (during the fuel crisis of the 70s) at leats one school local to me (at the time) shifted its hours. Started very early (can't remember the exact time) and they all left correspondingly early - something like 14:00.

When most other schools in the area went back to conventional hours, this school continued with its odd hours. And it was generally very popular with staff and pupils. (It might later itself have changed but IIRC it was still on these hours in hte late 80s.)

But as Johnnie and Chardonnay are always taken to school in the 4x4, does dawn really matter any more? :-)

My view has always been leave the clocks but, if needed, adjust the tiumes at which things occur. Imagine a system in which we used actual angles of for referencing time. Can't see things like '70 degrees is

82.5 degrees because it is summer' working very well.
Reply to
Rod

There are statistically more accidents after dark at going home time than in the morning. And altering the actual time in the north of Scotland makes so little difference anyway for much of the winter as the days are so short.

Far more likely is big business and the civil service who couldn't cope with varying work times across the land.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Warm and sunny all summer long when I were a lad in Aberdeen. TV was something to look forward to as well. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Living in London I'd like BST as standard and double in the summer. When working I get up before most - about 6 to take the dog out - and it's broad daylight. I'd rather have a longer evening.

BTW, my Viessmann boiler re-set its clock automatically. Easy enough for anything with a microprocessor. You don't need radio clocks where mains is available.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, it doesn't. It simply moves us around a bit to make use of it.

All of which is simply done by varying office and working hours.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Exactly.

And vary active hours to suit what's going on, celestially, as man has always done.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm in England and remember the farce that was permanent summer time in the

60s/70s. Dark till 9AM or later.

As above, I'm in England. If we stop fiddling with the clocks we need GMT. Most of England is west of GMT.

Reply to
<me9

Exactly! Just as was found in teh experiment in the 60s/70s.

Reply to
<me9

I'm a bit like that .I hate the weather and I hate Christmas with all the hype and madness and I hate New Year with all the hy...You get the picture ..:-(

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

The figures showed a drop in accidents during the experiment, not a rise.

Reply to
dennis

"starting" school at 8pm?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com scribeth thus

I likes the solstice we sacrifice a few virgins round these parts..

Well we don't really .. cos you can't find 'em anymore;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

YES!

At last some one who understands!

Thank you - thought I was the lone voice ...

Nomad

Reply to
The Nomad

You are an insignificant minority.

The main advantage of using GMT in the winter is that its dark when you go to work and its dark when you come home. You really shouldn't be allowed to have daylight at home on week days!

Reply to
dennis

I'm very much in favour of double summer time in the south - in the summer there's lots of daylight before most get up. Which would be more use in the evening - and save energy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are right.I got that arsey versey.

Still cant.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've got a couple of virgin kittens that will be ready for the solstice if you want.

Or you could ask Jonathan Ross..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

(late in this thread but ..) I'm of a certain age, so I've seen too many bloody winters already. [voice off: hear hear!]

My point is: however they bugger around with the clocks, SURELY it only applies to a couple of weeks around October/November and February/March anyway?!?

I mean: last week it was dark when I walked to work, and now it's light (vice versa walking home). But in a couple of weeks time it will be flipping pitch dark at BOTH times. So WHY switch the hours for the sake of a couple of weeks? Daft, I call it.

john

Reply to
jal