Time between sizing and paint

To much info from net, can't find a straight answer...

I'm sizing fresh plaster with 50/50 water/emulsion, what sort of time should I be leaving before painting 'proper'?

In that it appears dry shortly after application, does it need leaving a minimum time?

Ta

Reply to
R D S

And is there any real benefit to sizing it twice, in that i've mixed too much....

Reply to
R D S

I've put a normal coat on when convenient - usually the next day. Possibly not much advantage with a second coat unless the top coat is cheapo stuff in which case the second mist coat will increase opacity. Timing is probably more about the dryness of the plaster. I'd leave that until no dark areas left before applying the mist coat.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

"Size" is usually what's done before hanging paper. What you are doing is, I think, usually called a "mist" (sometimes "piss") coat.

Some suggest instead painting with water and then while still wet undiluted paint but I've never tried it:

I've always left it the time advised for the paint - and longer if cold

- but then I usually welcome the excuse ;)

Reply to
Robin

once it's dry. Not damp, dry.

I do that, it works far better. Applying water is a very fast thing to do, no care required, drips don't matter. And the first paint coat 5 minutes later is a proper one.

You'll find out in practice, if brushing the new paint drags the old stuff off it's not ready.

Don't put a 2nd pisscoat on, you'll just be wasting your time. Ditto for the first coat really, but people insist on doing it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's good to know as you are the author of the Wiki page. I'd be interested to know if others have done it. I've not seen or heard of it elsewhere.

Reply to
Robin

:-D

I'd be