timber and damp surveys near malton, north yorkshire

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a house in a village near Malton in North Yorkshire, and the surveyor has found evidence of rising damp and woodworm, so I want to get a timber and damp survey done. Does anyone know of anyone who just does surveys in that area? I'm very suspicious of any firm that does surveys and also the remedial work as I'm convinced they'll over estimate what needs doing. Failing that if any of you know of any good reputable companies that will do the whole thing then I guess if nothing comes of my first request that will have to do.

TIA, Paul

Reply to
Paul

Can't help, but it's a lovely part of the world. Family spent several happy summers on holiday in Amotherby..

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

They might, but their "surveys" are "free". Get several, don't tell any of them what the other fella said, and do a bit of DIY to boot.

Before adding to this, what's the place made of? Where is the damp? Where is the woodworm supposed to be?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Ask your surveyor for some suggestions - we did that and got a good outcome but not in your area. Your scepticism is well placed.

What you need is thew answer to 2 questions - the worst case (fully justified) for negotiating the price and the real advice on what to live and let live and what to treat when you move in.

HTH

Reply to
hzatph

It's a standard brick construction.

"Several downstairs walls" according to the survey. Plus several upstairs walls but we know the roof leaks so that explains that.

The evidence we've found is in the kitchen where there are lots of little piles of sawdust just under some shelves that are full of little holes. The house has been empty for 2 years though so we don't know how recently they've been there.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

A free "damp survey" could be useful here to get the price down if the seller isn't too clued up (i.e. doesn't know that such surveys are, in the main, utterly worthless). Some may think that immoral.

Just *dont*, under any circumstances, pay for any remedial work until you have fixed everything such as the leaking roof, gutters, downpipes, remoived any soil banked up over the dpc or air bricks, etc., and allowed the place to dry out. If it's still damp then *pay* a proper,

*independant*, surveyor for impartial advice. it will save you money in the long term.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Most such findings are incorect, on both counts. However if you have piles of sawdust by the worm holes, you almost certainly do have woodworm.

Re the damp, I'd suggest finding out what the symptoms of damp are and checking the place for youself. In most cases it turns out there is no damp problem at all. If there is, the solutions have nothing at all to do with 'treatment' companies. Asking them in is a waste of time.

For a bit of perspective on woodworm, most Victorian houses have woodworm holing, few have ever been treated, and rarely is there sufficient daamge for any action to need to be taken. Chemical treatment companies will of course try to persuade you otherwise.

To find out more:

meow2222