Tie bars, brickwork

Not DIY for me at least but can anyone recommend a builder who can sort out a wall bulge and affix a tie bar or two, as this was mentioned in our survey. It's not got worse as far as I can tell but I guess we should sort it before selling.

House is Victorian circa1850 in N1, London.

thx

E.

Reply to
eastender

If its old movement and safe, does it need doing? I wouldnt rely 100% on surveys, for sure. These sort of features are not out of the ordinary in very old properties.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

We are on the end of an 1897 terrace and have a 'bulge' in our flank wall.

It was spotted by the surveyor when I bought the place 30+ years ago and I don't think it's moved far, if at all since.

I have considered putting a couple of those iron 'X's' and long rods through the wall and first floor joists but not sure what the procedure is?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Probably not, especially as the house (a semi) has a two story extension on the flank and a one story extension at the back (where the bulge is). However, I can see that our neighbour had exactly the same problem in the same place at about first floor level (the house is 3 stories) and fixed it with nice bricks and a tie bar. It looks good and I can anticipate potential buyers being put off by ours - although in the present market we could sell a bomb shelter. I won't tell you how much Foxtons said they'd put in on for...

E.

Reply to
eastender

That's what I'm hoping someone will tell us.

E.

Reply to
eastender