Three way switch?

Hi,

Is there such a thing as a three way switch? I was thinking it would be useful for the outside lights: position 1 off position 2 always on position 3 on via pir

Does such a thing exist?

TIA

Reply to
Sam

Used to be able to get a two-way centre-off, which is what you want. You might still be able to get one in some gridswitch ranges.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:34:22 GMT someone who may be Sam wrote this:-

Yes. However you would probably need to make it out of components and thus take responsibility for the safety of the assembly.

Having said that I have a vague recollection of seeing a switch that had two on positions and a central off position. It was in a catalogue or web site, I saw it in the past week, it was in the style of normal electrical equipment and that is all I can remember about it.

Reply to
David Hansen

In message , Sam wrote

PIR lights often have this functionality built in.

Switch in off position = light off Switch off to on = light in PIR mode Switch off to on then off and back on within 30seconds = light always on.

Reply to
Alan

DPDT (Dual Pole Dual Throw) 3 position rocker switch???? 1 on centre off 2 PIR???

Reply to
CS

Sorry to hijack your post, but is there a gadget that will electocute SWMBO if the starts the bloody washing machine while I'm in the shower?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Be easier to do it with two? An on/off and a manual/auto?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Also doable with a two gang switch. One switch is off and PIR on, then the other is off and on.

Reply to
John Rumm

bit of a bugger, isn't it

Reply to
geoff

Your fault for listening to dribble. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Somewhere I have a gridswitch one. However, it's for the previous generation of MK gridswitch where the switches had toggles. I don't think it exists (or would be viable) for rocker switches.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There are certainly miniature toggle switches with a centre off. I have some. I've a feeling I may have normal sized rockers too. I'll look later. Either could be fitted to a blank plate if looks aren't important.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've been waiting for words of wisdom as I also would like on/centre-off/on switches for lighting. I'd hunted around a bit last week and wondered if the Supergrid 8000 gridswitch 8024 do? (See

But (big but) I've not yet got prices so it may be they are prohibitive.

May I also ask if it is possible to buy panels to fit bog-standard back boxes to take Euro size 250VAC rocker switches (of which there seemed to be a vast range)?

Reply to
Robin

Looks pretty hideous, though. Like 20 year old MK.

Not seen them but you can of course make your own holes in blank plates. Likely to look better since they can be bought to match your existing ones. If metal you could almost certainly get a Q-Max type punch - at a price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Doesn't need to be a combi. I have to wait until everyone is out (or in bed) before risking a shower. Someone is bound to turn on a hot tap otherwise. My shower is fed from the loft tank, stored hot water, not a combi in sight.

Reply to
<me9

Hi

MK 2 way + Off grid switch

will need a frame and faceplate too.
Steve

Reply to
stevelup

My gravity shower has separate feeds to get round this problem. Surrey flanges and all that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

MM. need a pair of mains relays to handle any load though.

One sort of thinks that a triac/solid state solution looks more appealing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Told you to get mains pressure ;-)

Reply to