Thoughts on bathroom lights with integrated LED

I want to replace the old pendant fittings in my bathroom and downstairs toilet with something brighter and better looking. The ceiling locations are in zone 3 afaik.

I'm considering getting the lights with integrated LED like this one from Screwfix:

Sylvania starteco 24W 2050LM Zone 2 compliant

I'm a bit wary of integrated lamps and haven't used them before, but they claim a good light level (2050LM) and long life (30k hours).

Has anyone got any experience of these sorts of light fittings with integrated LED lamps?

Reply to
Caecilius

I have put some up. The first lot, from Amazon, half failed within a couple of months, and I returned the lot. The second lot, from a 'proper' supplier, have been up a year and are fine.

Reply to
GB

I've got ones in my bathroom and kitchen (replacing 2D florries) and they are yummy. They can be switched between warm and cool white. Probably a bit too bright for the toilet unless it is *very* big.

Reply to
Max Demian

I'm sorry but I have to ask, what exactly would be very big in a toilet to benefit from a very bright light :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be OK with the sylvania branded light.

Reply to
Caecilius

Good point about being too bright - 2050LM is between a 100W and 150W incandescent so yes probably a bit much for the downstairs toilet. I'll try one in the bathroom first I think.

Reply to
Caecilius

Pity. Chichester Homebase were flogging off those 2D bulbs, both

2 and 4 pin variants for peanuts a couple of weeks ago.
Reply to
Andrew

I used these, which are half the price, but half the lumens, too:

IP20, but not bathroom rated AFAICS.

Reply to
GB

I have a bathroom light not too dissimilar with integrated LEDs and frankly with an expected lifetime of 30,000 hours I cannot say I am too worried that the whole thing at some distant time might need replacing, I might be fed up looking at it by then and want to replace it anyway.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

The light fitting is zone 3 so I should be OK with IP20. I see they also do a 24W version with 2140 LM. I've got a TLC near me so worth considering. Thanks.

Reply to
Caecilius

I'd have thought a brighter light would be required if it was very small.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

So do you think that the first lot were forgeries or just a batch variation. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

They look quite neat and unobtrusive when up. I have something similar to the Screwfix one, and the TLC ones look much better IMHO.

Reply to
GB

I used some smaller IP rated ones in a bathroom about three and a half years back. They have been fine, have a high output and are switchable in colour temp.

Reply to
John Rumm

Update: I got this lamp from Wickes and installed it today. It's nice and bright, especially on the cool white setting. Wasn't too difficult to install - just needed to install a JB in the loft when I removed the old ceiling rose.

Time will tell, but so far I'm pretty happy with it.

Reply to
Caecilius

The cool white on that is 4000K which works well IMHO in bathrooms and kitchens. Other cool white lights are often at 4500K and are a bit too much.

Enjoy.

Reply to
ARW

In a bathroom with toilet you need 10,000K so that you can spot the pee stains from misses or splash back :)

Reply to
alan_m

I use a 365nm UV torch (plus polycarbonate goggles just in case) to help spot stains while cleaning the bathroom. I find it's very useful.

It's actually only about 7,500K to get 365nm (Wien's law) :-)

Reply to
Caecilius

I rented a place which had an unfashionable faun bathroom suite. Pee stains? What pee stains!

Reply to
Max Demian

That would have probably looked like a murder scene with a UV torch though!

Reply to
Caecilius