Thought I'd sarae this one with you..interesting problem

I don't understand it either.

If you promise below what you expect to be able to deliver and deliver wha you can, most people will be pleased with the result and a few will be very pleased.

If you perform below what you promise, you will spend a lot of time fobbing off people who can be fobbed off and quite a bit fixing the issue for people who won't be fobbed off.

I don't know why people do it....

Reply to
Andy Hall

I can understand dodgy businesses doing it when theyre desperate, but they always lose out in the end. But individuals doing it makes no sense to me. They sign something in simple plain english, then later they go all weird.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Andy Hall wrote: perhaps the issue is being sensitive to what the customer

I went to my doctor to ask advice about my mother some time befire we had to put her in care. Her driving was the most appallingly frightening experience I have ever been subjected to.

His attitude? "Old people take risks: they haven't that much to lose"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You probably are.

Society is as good as it is because countless Andy Halls refused to put up with it being worse. Its as bad as it is because people shrug their shoulders and say "I can;t be bothered: Life's too short"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can thank ME in part for the fact that you are sitting there reading this. I build SUBSTANTIAL parts of the infrastructure that allows it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Sir Henry was appalled: You didn't expect DECENT people to take you up on an invitation"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because its jam today, and its the best they are able to come up with.

What you probably fail to realise is how utterly inept at least 50% of everybody really is. Of that 50% there is a percentage - maybe 15% - that are just smart enough to realise how stupid they are, and just vain enough to resent it beyond all measure. They watch and copy people who apparently know what they are doing, in the hope that someone will show them the respect and admiration they carve, or better still, be stupid enough to take them at their word. They feel that even THEY wouldn't be THAT stupid.

Drivel springs to mind.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are desperate, they always have been desperate, and they always will be desperate. Its easier to be desperate than do the hard work of learning something well enough to be confident.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wonder if Harley-Davidson have considered advertising in Saga Magazine?

Be a lot more fun than doing handstands on the stairlift, I would have thought.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Just what the spaceship doors said in the HHGttG.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

What a snide little turd you are.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That sounds like the voice of experience :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've got to have something to look forward to in old age. It certainly isn't a pension.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The "reasonable man" will look at the world as it is, say "don't trock the boat", and adapt himself to fit in with it. The "unreasonable man" will see how things could be better and will try to change the world to fit.

It is through these "unreasonable men" that we get progress!

Reply to
John Rumm

I suppose it depends on where you sit. I'm happy to take an individual approach to things (in that sense being out of step) but I don't see it as unreasonable.. Perhaps that's because reasonableness doesn't correlate that much to being democratic.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Human progress is the sum of individuals who were dissatisfied with at least one aspect of their existence, and changed it enough to be recognisably better to others who copied it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hence why I put "unreasonable" in quotes - I did not mean it in the conventional sense, but more as a way of summing up a "not following the herd" approach.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, I know. Just teasing :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

I agree, but we still don't know how the world is a better place because of Andy Hall.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Possibly you don't Mary, but others don't seem to have difficulty with the concept.

This is really the point. It is a concept and a position of not unquestioningly accepting the status quo, not accepting poor service and goods when better can be achieved and most of all expecting that people do what they say they are going to do.

I can certainly claim to have played a small part in that. If it means that a supplier of goods or services does a better job, it will benefit not only them but also others with whom they come into contact.

In that sense, I have and do make an improvement to the world which would not have been achieved if I had sat back and accepted any old rubbish and attitude that is dished out.

If one takes that principle and applies it in the way that I and John and TNP have pointed out, then the world certainly becomes a better place. That does not happen by the large contribution of a small number of individuals but generally by the small individual contributions of those not willing to accept things as they are.

I would turn the whole thing around. People who are willing to sit back and accept things that are wrong and substandard are doing both themselves and those around them a huge dis-service because it provides no drive for improvement and advancement. Unfortunately, said people on both supply and use are in the majority and it therefore holds back progress and improvement for everyone.

Reply to
Andy Hall