Those in Sheffield without any gas

Tell that to a Greenie and they insist that wind must be blowing somewhere. Point them to Gridwatch and they don't understand what they are seeing :(

I now know someone who over the summer had solar installed on the roof to power the ASHP during winter!

Reply to
alan_m

It's actually quite sunny at the moment, but rather cold.

About 300 watts of solar would keep a 1kW heat pump ticking over nicely?

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Freezing fog/mist in Sussex.

Reply to
Andrew

In message <tn22tl$1lihe$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 13:53:43 on Sat, 10 Dec

2022, ARW snipped-for-privacy@bluey>> In message <tn1lee$1ql7$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 10:01:50 on Sat, 10 Dec

People are calling it a "water main", and the only reason they mention

1970 (perhaps the sole fact yet to emerge) is because various hecklers seem to think that the water company had neglected to do whatever preventative maintenance on the water main in their in-expert opinion might have stopped it "bursting".
Reply to
Roland Perry

In message <tn2l4b$1ish$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 19:02:35 on Sat, 10 Dec

2022, Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybt>> >>>> In message <tn1lee$1ql7$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 10:01:50 on Sat, 10

Sure it was a major gas main? It seems to me it's a small distribution pie to just the local premises.

But why would the gas pipe then fill up with water?

Reply to
Roland Perry

That's as may be but even if you had a nominal 2kW of solar installed, you'd not get 300W or more for more than about 5 hours out of 24.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not much was done to fix the water supply while it was nationalised. Which allowed my LibDem sister to try to make a political point once it was privatised and they became accountable for leaks. Obviously, y'see, since while it was in "public ownership" the water rates were low, and now they're high, it must be due to the profits being made.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'm told that today those solar panels are covered in a thin layer of snow, its overcast and the temperature hasn't risen above zero.

Reply to
alan_m

(at this time of year)

If we had some panels here, they would also be in that state. It's all about expectations and whether they match reality.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have the heating on for less than 5 hours a day anyway :)

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

But I'll bet the 5 hours are before it gets light in the morning and after it gets dark in the afternoon.

Reply to
alan_m

But it isn't the same 5 hours that the panels are delivering.

Reply to
chop

Today, its covered on snow

Numpties are divided on whether to blame Brexit, or global warming.

But all agree the solution is more windmills.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Brexit is to be be blamed for everything.

More windmills just cure the climate emergency.

It's politically incorrect to call it global warming these days as that gives the wrong impression that the UK population will not need central heating in the winter months by 2035, or whatever year the world is going to end unless we build more windmills.

Reply to
alan_m

Don't forget that if we, and the rest of Europe, have a few very hot weeks during the Summer its climate change but if the whole of Europe has snow its just the weather.

Reply to
alan_m

No, I'm in bed then.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

We have gas central heating and radiators. Our house is L-shaped and the radiators in the two wings are on two different circuits: the same boiler can feed radiators in either zone or in both zones, determined by motorised valves. All that was done by the previous owners. Since then, when we had the boiler replaced (it was starting to corrode) we chose to replace the conventional wired thermostats and timer with two Hive thermostats/timers. So we are able to see from the Hive app exactly how long the heating has been on in the two zones each day.

One zone also has supplementary heating from an Aga and from a wood-/peat-burning stove, so the central heating is on for less time in that zone that for the other zone which has no other source of heat.

Looking at the figures for a typical weekday at the moment, the "unheated" (no Aga/stove) zone is on for about 3.5 hours per day and the "heated" (Aga/stove) zone is on for about 2.5 hours. That's with the present outside temperatures that are around -5 to +5 degrees C. Going back a few weeks when outside temp was around 8 deg C, the zones were on for 1.5 hours ("unheated") and 0.5 hours ("heated"). That's for thermostats set to 18 deg C during the day and 15 deg C between about 2300 and 0800 overnight.

So far we seem to be using about 0.5 to 0.6 times the gas that we used for corresponding months a year ago, when we had the thermostats set to about

21-22 deg C during the day and 18 deg C overnight.

It's amazing what an increase in the price of gas does to make us economise. Actually the biggest economy was the simplest: previously we'd tended to keep the kitchen door open so heat was free to move between the two wings of the house, and we tended not to shut the bedroom doors (in the "unheated" wing of the house). We closed the doors as the first form of economy, even before we altered thermostats, and saw a significant decrease because we were now heating just the parts that needed to be heated, and not heating the long corridor outside the bedrooms etc.

Reply to
NY

Once the Andes snow caps and glaciers have gone, Peru will no longer have enough water to be able to grow asparagus all year round and air-freight it to Europe.

That will piss off quite a few guardian readers

Reply to
Andrew

Welcome to your free sample of Net Zero.

Reply to
Jonathan Harston

Reminds me of an incident in Luton many years ago.

The gas supply network cocked up and cross-connected a medium pressure gas pipe to the local distribution pipework, which instantly wrecked all the pressure regulators and some meters. This left 1000's of homes needing new regulators, and all meters and all appliances needing to be tested before reconnection - a massive job.

Gas board drove around distributing electric heaters.

3 hours later, local substation transformer exploded into flames.

Now, no power, and no quick fixes for either. I think they got some large gensets running in a day for some people, and a new substation transformer fitted in a few days, but the gas took weeks to recover. Even a temporary loss of pressure in the low pressure network requires a protected process of visiting every property at least twice before everyone is back on again, but in this case, quite extensive repairs too.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel