Thinking of Summer Aircon?

Drip tray under each radiator?

Reply to
Fredxx

That is what I thought. Most modern systems use butane or similar.

Reply to
Fredxx

I plan to try some guttering and a plastic bottle...

(and some fans on the top to circulate the air through)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The air will still be an uncomfortable 100% relative humidity. You have to overcool the air, remove the excess moisture and then allow the air to warm slightly.

Reply to
Max Demian

Thanks

Reply to
RJH

Any object colder than ambient will reduce the overall humidity. A cold radiator dripping water will have that effect.

In fact, my experience is if you can reduce humidity it's feels cooler.

Reply to
Fredxx

It must be very hot where you live such that it has affected your brain. You do admit to being a failed chemist.

The triple point of butane is -135C. Life in the UK is generally above that so no issue with freezing. It is therefore liquid or gaseous over a convenient range of pressures found on this planet, especially the UK.

It's a common refrigerant, and given the designation R600a.

Reply to
Fredxx

You remove moisture with the cold metal, and then the cold air mixes with other warm air, meaning the overall room RH is <100%, I think?

Commercial HVAC uses chiller loops and fan coils: you distribute chilled water through the building, and each room has a fan coil unit which is just a heat exchanger (like a car radiator) with a fan behind it. The fan pulls in room air. You run chilled water through the FCU's water loop which cools the air passing through the radiator fins. Some condensation comes out, which it collects and drain away. The output is then blown back into the room. There's no 'overcooling', just that you are only ever cooling a fraction of the room air.

(You typically mix in some small proportion of fresh outside air from an air handling unit and exhaust stale air too)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Humidity is all,. One of the reason winter feels colder at say 5°C than summer nights at 5°C is the RH is lower in winter..

Limits of my personal ability to tolerate heat were 35°C and 100% humidity (Yucatan and Natal) and 52°C (Mojave desert, 0% humidity.) Drier air cools you way better

-- “Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of
an airplane.”

Dennis Miller

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No one disputes that chilled rads will cool a room, the problem is condensation off them

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's why I initially suggested a fancoil unit, that'll be equipped with a condensate drain ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

-25°C on a visit to Canada didn't feel as cold as a couple of degrees positive here either.

Reply to
SteveW