Things to do

I have a washing machine that leaks and is no use for its intended purpose. How easy is it to set the motor up to do 1001 really useful thingies?

Anyone posted any such a? Or come across a site with this sort of thing on it?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Washing machine motors often require a load to limit their speed, and without a load they can fly to pieces, so be careful. I've seen a book on reusing mains motors, might have been in Maplin. Washing machine motors really are very much designed for exactly their task, and using them for other things is not easy.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Isn't the C5 a good example of this ;-)

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Theyre open framed, so need covering to prevent injury or damage. They are designed to work with an electronic controller, but will run if series connected. They do extemely high speeds, eg 15,000 rpm, too high for most apps, thus IRL one usually has to run them at reduced speed and power. They should not be run unloaded. They generally have 6 connections: 2 each for armature, stator and tacho. Theyre reversible, but only at low speed. Theyre free.

What do you want to use it for? A high power fan?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

On 24 Apr 2004 10:16:08 -0700, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) strung together this:

With a WM motor behind it that would be a wind tunnel wouldn't it?

Reply to
Lurch

It seems such a shame to cob it. But there you go. Prime example of the throw away society. I think this sort of thing began when guns replaced bows and bullets replaced other bullets. Prior to that the only other example of one use and no repairs was crockery.

In its way, the more sophisticated stuff gets, the simpler it becomes to maintain.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

In message , Michael Mcneil writes

You could create a grey water toilet... :)

six)

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

Not too tough to make a wood lathe out of it, but you'd need to run it on reduced voltage. Dont want the workpiece doing 15,000 rpm :)

And torque would be low compared to geared lathes, so either use a small cutting tool or a powered cutter.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

You might, if turning matchsticks.