Thickness of concrete for shed floor

Does anyone know how thick the concrete should be for the floor of a shed. The ground is solid underneath. When i dug up soil to get the floor level, the remaining soil is pretty solid and does not sink when walked upon. when laying my sand and dpc and a little more sand, how thick should i have the concrete? I have read about 4 inches for a garage, but i will not need anywhere near the weight of a car. The shed may be used to house some domestic appliances but not hold too much weight.

any comments greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Shabs

Its hard to get a decent screed on anything less than 3 inches. I would not go below that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does the shed not already have an integral floor with it or are you building it from scratch yourself ? Either way, have you considered using paving slabs rather than pouring your own concrete ?

Reply to
Kevin

A lot easier on paving slabs. For my shed I excavated a flat area the size of the shed (with wooden edging), put in inch or two of compacted sand (using the wooden edging to gauge the sand depth), placed 9 cheap plaving slabs, making sure they were all level, filled remainign area with largish shingle and assembled shed on top of runners placed on the slabs. That was 5 years ago, no sign of rot, no sign of weeds growing underneath either and main point no sign of wobble.

Reply to
Ian Middleton