Thermostatic controlled hot water to be mandatory on new builds/renovations soon.

the Government is planning on requiring all new builds+renovations to put thermostatic controls on hot water supplies.

Must admit, this may actually be a good idea - though I wonder how many scalds are actually done through baths/taps/showers rather than boiling liquids. Aren't these controls adjustable though? So what stops someone from turning it right up to the hottest setting, or do they have an overall max temp?

David Hearn

Ouch. Does that mean hot baths are to be banned?

My hot water is thermostatically controlled, but set to 60C. I keep meaning to put another TMV on the basin to limit to 40C. It is only used for handwashing, so hot water there is a pain.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Good quality shower valves such as Mira, Aqualisa, Grohe,... have limiting mechanisms in the form of a peg or equivalent to prevent the valve being turned too high - e.g. above about 45 degrees.

Some also have a detent and a little button and won't go above 40 unless you press the button to release the valve to be turned further.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

From the cylinder, combi, heat bank, etc, two lines can be run. One at 55C for the kitchen tap, dishwasher, washing machine, and one with a blending valve set to 43C or there about. Just set the temp at the cylinder.

The problem is legionella. Storing water over 60C kills off the bacteria, so blending all the water down at the cylinder to 45C ish is no problem. The only problem is that a washing machine on hot washes will use the electric heater more as the water will not be hot enough entering the machine.

The problem is mainly in the baths, with little children jumping into very hot baths. A thermostatic mixer is the answer here. Screwfix do a bath/shower mixer for £160. You can set the bath as well as the shower water temp.

Reply to
IMM

Depends on the range the valve has. Some have a narrow temperature range. Once set people don't tend to mess with them.

Reply to
IMM

That's generally marginal these days, since the majority of textiles require only warm washes and the detergents are specified accordingly. Water consumption is less than it used to be as well.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

There's no point in doing that. The only outlet I want at 40C is the basin for washing hands and shaving. It would be better to put the TMV there locally. There is a long tortuous run to the heat bank, too, so I don't want to have two sets of pipes losing heat. Also, when I get out of the bath, the basin taps are still hot, so I can shave without waiting.

43C would be no good for my baths. I like them hot, but need to get accustomed. I get in when it is half full at 40C and then just leave the hot tap on until I can bear no more. 43C would not be able to raise the temperature. Even 60C is marginal...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yet another Loony Left idea by a acareer politicain who can't add up.

The energy cost of making all those thermostats will exceed the energy saved over even the next 50 years probably.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a safety issue, not an energy conservation one. Think of the children! ;-)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

This snotty uni one is sick. He see only a pound note. He was on about getting rid of old people as they cost to keep. How sick! Those people fought a war for a system which we enjoy. We should be grateful for what they did.

Reply to
IMM

You like 60C baths? 43-45C is the recommend temp for baths.

Reply to
IMM

Nah. They probably end up around 48C. However, I need to get in when they are 40C and then increase the temperature. That requires much hotter water to mix in.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Having that Srewfix bath/shower mixer ensures that the water entering the bath is the right temp. No need to play about, just set the thermostat and turn on. I relative of mine was badly scalded as a child by jumping into a very hot bath before the cold water was added. Scalding from a normal hot water system is a very real thing. It happens every day. That is why the government, quite rightly, is implementing this law. Another good law by Tony. Great guy!

Reply to
IMM

Which is why advice when running baths for children or elderly is to always, always, put cold in first. Should be common sense, but that is something not in vogue these days, when someone else can be blamed for not preventing another's mistakes.

If the BReg changes end up saying "there must be a device to enable the temperature of water from taps to be limited" then this is good. People with children and elderly can set it at a sensible level. If it starts specifying the maximum temperature that is allowable from any tap in the house then this is needlessly draconian.

I wait and see, but knowing this government's desire to eliminate all risk from life by use of the nanny state, I don't have too much hope for sensible & proportionate legislation.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Even if you like your baths at 43-45C, you still require much hotter water to mix in. (Or you empty the bath and refill as it cools).

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

43C is about right for a bath for most people. Setting the thermostat to 45C will compensate for any heat loss. The faster the fill up the less the heat loss.

Note: combi's should be set to approx 45C, not 60C as most people have them.

Reply to
IMM

I think the accepted no-one-will-dare-counter-this-daft-idea incantation is, "If it saves just one child..." :-)

Reply to
stefek.zaba

These did: "But the Housebuilders Federation says the government has already made too many small amendments to the building regulations."

You appear not to like preventing children and old people from being scalded.

Reply to
IMM

Just pass a law saying that people must always run cold water first, job done.

Zane.

Reply to
abuse

You do your washing-up at bath temperatures ?

Reply to
John Laird