Thermal underwear...!

Anyone care to recommand thermal vests that really are "thermal" in that they keep the cold at bay! The term 'thermal' seems to apply to any garment in Winter time. Am feeling the cold as now a certain age and working outside is getting a bit tough. I'd just like to get some that really are good. Ebay has many of course and equally they are all "the best". CPC sell such items too. But are they any good? So any specific items/supplier much appreciated. tvm. brrr

Reply to
dave

Have a look in M&S last time I looked, a while back, they graded their thermal underwear for different enviroments/temperature. I've got a long sleeve "thermal" top and long johns. If I put them on I have to go outside in temps below 5C or I get too hot.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Damart thermolactyl has always worked well for me.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

sounds like a laxative to me....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Army and Navy Stores are pretty good for that sort of thing. I got some long johns that said NATO on the label and they have been excellent.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I am wearing one - M&S or BHS (I forget and I'm not stripping off on a train full of bankers for you matey!) ;->

It is *very* warm but comfortable. I don't really need a coat with that under a work shirt.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh yes - if you are serious about it, has to be long sleeved top.

Add in some longjohns and you (OP) will be *extremely* warm. Longjohns might seem old fashioned, but all the blokes in northern China wear them, and I'm talking miners here.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've always assumed it to be hot milk - or a hot flying cow (pterolactyl)

Reply to
PeterC

I have wondered whether the material is based upon milk proteins. Compared to today, there was a fairly limited range of plastic around when it was invented, in the 1950s.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Helly Hansen.

Reply to
Martin

Probably - casein is the stuff isn't it?

it mildews easily..

Its a synthetic wool, more or less.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Seconded.

Reply to
Reentrant

The compression ski underwear from Lidl and Aldi seems to work very well. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on sale at the moment, but worth watching out for.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

As long as it's fluffy and contains no more than 15% cotton (preferably none) it seems to keep me happy. Go for a long sleeve and close the cuffs on your outer wear, use elastic bands if you are wearing no more than a shirt. Wear a neck roll or scarf and then add a hat and gloves when appropriate.

Reply to
thirty-six

Thin layers to trap the air are what is needed. No need to pay a fortune for branded thermals, certainly wouldn't pay for Helly Hansen.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

A lot of fishermen wear a pair of woman's tights as thermals.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Do they leave the women inside?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, that is their excuse and they are sticking to it. Although it doesn't explain the black lacy accessories ;-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Common here too, and useful now that winter has finally arrived - the forecast temp for tonight is -32C (and -43C windchill). It's only -22C outside right now, so not so bad :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Sometimes I wonder WTF you are doing there at all Jules.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher