The wind in my cellar!

You could have got a TV company interested in this.

Considerably more interesting than most of the crap on.

Reply to
EricP

Fill it in again and call in Timeteam.

Reply to
Paul Herber

A wine/beer cellar sounds a good idea! Actually, now that it's repointed, limewashed, and has a limecrete floor (leaving the fault open to let the air in) it's looking quite bright and inviting. My wife is determined to have an occasional firkin of ale (Hooky bitter), and I shall certainly have a wine rack or two. We will also be clamping our allotment produce down there, and perhaps hanging a ham. I'd also like to try my hand at cheese making.

tom.harrigan

You can go right off some folk!

It would be really good to know what you do despite my envy.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Tom, I'm getting curious about what type of house is on top of this fascinating cellar. Any chance of a pic or description of the house itself ? And how did you find the cellar - where are the stairs from the house, etc. ? I need to know the whole story ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Seconded - come on, tell all. I'm really jealous as it looks fantastic.

John

Reply to
John

I'll post a pic when I find the camera. Above the cellar is a humble ironstone rubble built cottage, that's been knocked about by generations of previous owners.

At the front of the house was a 3'x2' stone slab, that had been there since we moved in. I decided to move it as I thought it might make a good floor for the porch I planned to build. Panic set in, when a hole opened up beneath it that lead diagonally under the house. A lot had been going wrong with the renovation, and a collapsing house was the last thing I needed. As far as I was aware, the house had no foundations (it has none apart from where the cellar is) and I feared the worst.

There was only one thing to do, so I attached a rope round my wife's waist and lowered her through the hole.

tom.harrigan

Did you leave it in the crypt?

LOL!

Tom, this has to be the best thread for a long time :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher