The Great Smart Meter Swindle

Jim GM4DHJ ... pretended :

Absolutely not, they are entirely optional. They can require you to have a new meter installed, but it is your decision as to whether it is Smart or not Smart.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

True _unless_ you sign a contract for a deal which requires you to have a smart meter. The law of contract doesn't have a general let-out for smart meters.

Of course breach of contract is an option. They'd possibly just charge their standard tariff instead.

Reply to
Robin

What's your problem with SmartWater (TM)?

Reply to
Robin

That?s silly with smartphones alone.

Reply to
87213

Far cheaper generic alternatives. Hell, you can make your own, equally effective, with kitchen cabinet additives.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Hey, no problem if you don't mind being spied on 24/7. Be my guest; go nuts. Make sure you pay over a thousand pounds for the handset, though, just to be certain you get the *full* experience of being played for a mug.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Mine doesn?t spy on me 24/7.

Be my guest; go

Haven't spent anything like that.

Reply to
87213

Can you name an alternative with (a) millions of unique codes; (b) that police can and do look for and use to trace the owner; (c) with "brand recognition" to deter thieves?

NB it's a good example of where technical expertise (the chemistry to make millions of unique codes that stick) ain't enough. It's also about a business strategy - in this case to build a large enough database of users that it's worthwhile for the police to install the kit; and publicity so thieves - and dealers - are deterred.

Reply to
Robin

Perhaps not. But there are, we know, other people who are. Maybe you don't lead an interesting enough life!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Absolutely certainly not.

Only those with android smartphones.

Maybe you

The reason is that it isnt possible to do that with an iphone.

Reply to
87213

I think you're kidding yourself.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I know I am not. Apple doesn?t track iphones 24/7 and there is no way for any app to do that without your permission. Apple even encrypts the data that moves over the mobile phone network when using the apple map app so that it isn't even possible for anyone to track you 24/7 that way and apple doesn?t sell your location to anyone.

Reply to
87213

that is what it says ....only said I was eligible in the sales guff .......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Just someone that has fallen for the marketing.

Reply to
alan_m

Nope, someone who knows how the phone is done and knows that it isn't possible to monitor me 24/7 unless I give the app permission to do that.

Reply to
87213

Who said anything about apps?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

iphones don?t monitor you 24/7.

Reply to
87213

That's good to hear. Sleep well, then. ;->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You tube?

???? try shockwave flash plugin

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They don't monitor you when you're sleeping.

How do they know you're sleeping?

They monitor you.

Owain

Reply to