The clear success of Part P

I've reread the post, and no such things are stated or implied.

This is the final problem with part p, that deaths can be expected to decline over time regardless of whether pp is in place or not. Without pp they'd decline quicker, since rewiring would be avoided less often, and there would be less inclination to do illegal jobs. But since it should decline either way, future statistics will not tell us much.

In fact unqualified working is common today, but is not a signficant problem, as confirmed by the near zero death rate stats. Often one hears 'ooh thats dangerous cos its not regs compliant' but IRL the risk level is miniscule. If only other areas of daily life were as super-safe as electrical installations.

In the 80s I saw an installation still in daily use from around WW1 (in retail premises as well) so I reckon it'll take an awful long time for our historic installs to disappear. HMG might want us all to give our money to business every 20 years for a rewire, but many arent that easily taken in.

blue & brown

But bear in mind most countries have lower standards to start with. UK wiring has so many layers of protection designed in that errors here and there dont normally get through all those protection layers, thus no incident occurs. Hence our wiring system is much more cowboy-proof than in most countries.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

B&Q does supply the trade as well as the public.

Besides, that doesn't say that Joe Public doesn't notify the BCO of his d-i-y work.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

(i) There was an overlap period before the new regs came in when blue & brown cable was available, so that's not definitive. (ii) I wonder how much black & red cable is still available. Any DIYer with any common sense stocked up... (iii) I wonder if there's a grey market in black & red anyway.

Reply to
Huge

The message from Huge contains these words:

Perhaps I replaced an entire old ring with new for old.

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King saying something like:

Point of interest...

The Irish market has been using blue and brown for years, so it would be perfectly possible for an addition or partial rewire to have been made with imported cable long before PP. Given the number of sparkies vans on the Irish ferries, I wouldn't be at all surprised (cough cough).

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon