The best gas boiler

Hi Folks

Back again for another bit of disinterested advice with only 70,000 unread messages to wade through (not). I tried to search the archive but couldn't find any link that still worked so this topic could have been addressed recently in which case could someone point me at a usable link.

I am about to undertake a major kitchen refurbishment and have decided that my 22 year old Potterton Profile is bound to fail within the next year or two and I wouldn't want my nice new shiny kitchen disfigured by major boiler work so it is time to junk the Potterton without squeezing it right to the end.

What I want is a reliable condensing boiler. (Room sealed, wall mounted). I am not overly concerned with cheapness although a pointer or two as to where to get the best price for particular make would be welcome.

The gas fitter I have lined up to do the job is happy to fit a boiler I provide (presumably to keep under the VAT register limit) and he has suggested an Ideal Logic + so what is the general opinion on this range. The 5 year warranty on parts and labour seems to play a part in his judgement.

Is the Ideal Logic + a good buy and are there any other models that our experts think would be a better bet?

Thanks in advance for any useful tips.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I would take a look at the Vaillant range of boilers..

German quality and all that....

Reply to
Stephen H

I too have an ancient boiler. Simple and reliable but inefficient - the opposite of the new ones.

The consensus seemed to be to look for the best guarantee, because the new clever ones don't last long. 7 years average.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You mean 7 years and then replace - or 7 years before a fault?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've been fitting Worcester Bosch Greenstars (mostly 24i Juniors) since high-efficiency became mandatory in 2005(?) and they've been pretty good so far. We're talking about a couple of dozen here - I do a range of work beside boiler renewals - but in the same time I've seen a Vaillant pretty much destroyed by a defective combustion chamber seal and taken out an Ideal Icos because the owner was fed up with it breaking down. Also attended breakdowns and other problems on Glowworms.

Of the W-Bs I've put in: * one has had several faults, one or more related to crap in the system water (although I'd flushed the system I hadn't also fitted a filter) * one I fitted years ago had a pinhole in a plastic waterworks moulding (apparently a common fault but they say they've changed the plastic formulation now) * and my own (fitted 2008) has had its expansion vessel fail.

When I have needed help or support W-B's tech support and warranty people have generally been helpful, whereas Vaillant's has generally been abysmal and evasive.

Reply to
YAPH

Thanks John. You may well have turned the choice to Worcester Bosch Greenstar over Ideal Logic Plus. I will have to have a chat about it with the recommended fitter.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

As an aside a friend has pointed me at Viessmann.

About which I know little except the 'brand name' sales spin he blasted at me.

Reply to
Adrian C

I've had 2 Logic+ fitted (different houses!) as replacements:

One had a fault with the flue - the pipe froze up, but I'd guess that was an installation issue;

The guarantee is dependent upon annual services (£30ish). Ideal continue to send me 'enhanced warranty' bumf that I can't be bothered to read. Does suggest the guarantee might not be up to much;

Cases resonate - set the noise floor in fact.

I would add that the plumber did quite actively push these boilers - obviously a model he's familiar with. But no real complaint from me.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

I have one - a Vitodens 200 system boiler which is about 7 years old. I fitted it myself and added the weather compensation unit - and found the instructions very poor, especially as regards the software changes needed. However, their tech department was very helpful.

Current models may well have improved software, though.

Point I'm really making is make sure your installer is familiar with this boiler.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1 on the noise

I only installed mine about three months ago, so I haven't got anything worthwhile to report reliability-wise, but it is louder than I expected. The fan has quite a buzz to it that seems to carry surprisingly well around the house. It's my first fanned-flue, wall-mounted boiler though, so I can't tell if it's worse than any other.

Mine is a Heat 18 and it's plain Logic rather than a Logic+. As far as I can tell, there isn't any difference between the Logic and the Logic+ other than the badge and extra insurance.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

That's a good point. There is a noticeable but not especially offensive buzz/resonance throughout the house, carried I assume through the pipes. Could this be cured by some manner of decoupling - say a section of plastic pipe?

I think you're right - it's just cosmetic, for boilers on show.

Rob

Reply to
RJH