testing a smart battery charger

Any simple way to check if a 'Smart' battery charger is still 'Smart' I'm unceerain about one we have and don't want to risk using it if it is faulty. Tanks in advance

What sort of batteries does it charge?
If lead-acid (car) batteries then an accurate voltmeter watching the battery voltage as it charges should give you a good idea whether the charger is working correctly.
The charger should charge the battery at its maximum output current (if the battery is significantly discharged) to start with, then the current will tail off when the voltage reaches somewhere in the 13.5 to 14 volts region (assuming '12 volt' battery). When the battery gets to 14.5 volts or thereabouts the charger should then back off and keep the voltage at 13.5 volts or so with a trickle charge.
Some smart chargers are even cleverer but you should still see the above sort of sequence.
--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green wrote:

IME a smart 4A battery charger, charges at 1.2A! It then runs at 1A until about 12.4V , then runs at 100mA, tapering off to 30mA.
On Tuesday, 12 July 2016 15:38:01 UTC+1, fred wrote:

Which battery chemistry?
NT