tesco npower spiral CFL bulbs

Tesco had some npower / gov sponsored CFL bulbs for 20p each. I am relectantly starting to use some. Wattages of 11, 15 and 20 all the same price. I got 20 of the 20W bulbs. May be crap, but should be bright enough. Surely can't be bad at that price ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

worth it at the price, but will probably be dead inside 6 months.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That reminds me, several of the 60W bulbs I stocked up with from tesco have blown within days. Humph. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

all 10p today, including 23w ones

NT

Reply to
Tabby

At the other end of the spectrum, I bought an 11W Megaman golfball CFL

- and I'm amazed at how close to a standard 60W filament pearl lamp it is.

Other than taking a few seconds to come up to brightness, I really cannot tell the difference - and this is close-up in an anglepoise reading light.

Reply to
dom

When you have tried em, stick a review on here:

John Rumm

I forked out for several of those at ~£9 each once, as they were the only cfls small enough for one of our light fittings. Sadly, despite the price, they didn't last very long.

Spamlet

In article , sm_jamieson writes

They seem OK. I bought several of the SES 7W candle bulbs for 10p each, and all still working. Sprayed a couple with red enamel paint to replace fireglow bulbs.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com writes

I inherited a Philips Softone CFL, initially I thought it was an incandescent as the light colour is virtually the same. It's now in my bedside lamp as it takes a few moments to reach full brightness, something I appreciate on dark mornings.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Do they come in SBC? We have rather a lot of twin 25W wall lamps.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article , Tim Lamb writes

Yes, they do. I bought a couple for a table lamp. They come with a glass outer envelope which diffuses the light and makes it more pleasant.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

OK ta. I'll send the lady who shops:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article , Tim Lamb writes

Just found one in the cupboard. I'd forgotten they were twisted candle, more attractive than the plain.

from the box: Tesco Greener Living Twisted candle supported by npower,

7 watt, similar to light output of 35w soft white bulb, small bayonet cap.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

^^^^^^ ^^^

Yeah, right.

Reply to
Huge

In article , Huge writes

Only repeating what it says on the box. They are definitely brighter than a 25w incandescent.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Oh, I know. I was disbelieving the box, not you.

Reply to
Huge

Were they pendant fittings (buld hanging down) with individual shades? That's not good for the electronics in the base.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I bought some in about Feb '08.

Big fat 3-stick one in the lounge was still in use last month, with fairly heavy use.

Short 3-stick ones still in use and fine in the bedroom, with moderate use

SES reflector spotlights in the kitchen started looking a bit dim, moderate use but swicthed on and off a lot.

Have stocked up on 10p sticks in ES for the staircase lights - they were being take off the aisle-end shelf displays today so the offer might be ending soon. (I bought BC by mistake and Tesco let me change them no problem)

Owain

PS I don't have or have lost my wiki account but feel free to paste the above in. Just don't ask for the wattages.

Reply to
Owain

There is one called Owain-test if that rings any bells? I can always create a new account if you want, just drop me an email with your preferred username, and I will email you a password.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's interesting - we tried one and thought it was awful. It made our ginger positively ill!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton