tap washer split in 2

Got a large water bill - my daily consumption was 500 litres/day more than previous bill. So started replacing tap washers ... found the culprit was the backyard garden tap. The end of the hose was out of sight below a pile of leaves in a pit. When I unscrewed the tap, I found the washer had 2 splits,

90 degrees apart, so water was just pissing through. BTW I bought that washer from a hardware chain known for sausage sizzles.
Reply to
bruce56

Possible reasons. Over tightening the tap. Frost. Chinese (or similar) washer.

Always remove hose from tap.

Reply to
harry

Probably frost damage rather than any inherent fault in the washer.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Always fit isolation tap indoors and turn it off in the winter and drain the pipe in between, just like my neighbour didn't, ahem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff