Tap connector - will this bodge last.

Hi,

I was connecting up a shower wall outlet yesterday using a straight tap-connector. I noticed that there was no sealing ring and sure enough when I allowed the water through, it started to leak. Checked in all my plumbing stuff but couldn't find one anywhere and as the shops were closed, I decided to bodge it using a ring of silicone sealant where the washer would normally go. Tightened everything up and left it for an hour. When I tested the fitting again later I was a little surprised but rather happy that there was no leak.

In the opinion of this group, do you think this bodge is likely to last or should I strip everything down again and do it properly. Once I've finished, this particular joint is not going to be accessible as it will be hidden behind the tiles.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kevin

Unless you like retiling an entire wall, do it properly.....

This is a classical opportunity for Sod's Law to bite you.

If you call the manufacturer, they will almost certainly send you the correct sealing washer for free because it isn't worth processing the paperwork.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do it properly! Bodges are for cowboys!

Reply to
Malcolm H

--------------------------------><

Then you've really answered your own question. ;-)

Reply to
nog

Yippi-Ky-Ay.

If the consensus had been that silicone is as good as a fibre washer, then I would probably have left it, but deep down I know I should be doing it properly. Time to take the spurs back off I think.

Reply to
Kevin

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Kevin" saying something like:

You've answered your own question. If the slightest doubt exists, do it properly.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon