T&E cable on outside wall damaged by weather

And cables are made of? They are designed for surface mounting under some conditions. So could well be in sunlight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All plastics degrade with age. It could be your cable was cooked over the years too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

worse..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

" uPVC is known as having strong resistance against chemicals, sunlight, and oxidation from water"

The Natural Philosopher

Did they bother with such niceties in the days of VIR?

I'd settle for some black sleeving over the black wire ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

En el artículo , Adam Funk escribió:

I'd run some 20mm plastic conduit. Put an access box near where the cable comes out of the wall and joint on a new length inside the box.

this where the cable comes out of the wall:

a hole in the back of it to run the existing cable in. Seal with something if you think it's needed.

Looks a lot neater than stringing bare T&E along a wall with clips.

I wouldn't. In wet weather water might run down/along the cable into the joint.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Hituf seems to be the one to use.

some reason TLC seem to be clearing their stock
don't know if this is because something new has come along.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

and the added problem of getting rid of the bloody salesman!

Reply to
PeterC

And when I see some of the things people make out of it I almost wish it didn't...

Actually it's curious that plasticised PVC has appropriated the description without qualifier, so we have to use uPVC to describe something closer to the original polymer!

Reply to
docholliday93

Good question... I have never seen it on VIR, but given the number of times not seeing it on PVC that does not mean the idea had not yet come about...

Well yes that would be nice... Still I have seen rubber insulated (well, at some time in the past) circuits in much worse state than that, where the light switches had to be replaced carefully to avoid contact between the two now uninsulated wires nestling among the rubber crumbs.

Reply to
John Rumm

solve the PVC / Polystyrene problem) ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I noticed that, and also a local electrical wholesaler doesn't have it anymore. The guys behind the counter didn't know why.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I remembered to take some photos this morning:

cable is as flexible as T&E normally is, but the last photo shows what I meant about the surface.

Oh, I thought paint was *bad* for cables.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I suppose I ought to be able to find a conduit end fitting that will screw into the base of the light?

is a rubber grommet inside there, just not visible in the photo.)

I did mean a proper crimped joint like the one on the wiki, not crimped & tied up with elastic bands. ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

In article , John Rumm writes

Surely the correct action to take in that situation would be to pull the fuse and refuse to refit it until a rewire was done?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I'd not be worried about what looks like some mild crazing. Deep cracks, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK, I'll ignore for a while longer then. I was under the impression that normal PVC-sheathed cable wasn't considered suitable for long-term exposure to direct sunlight, & that paint was bad for the sheathing too. Apparently the wrong impression?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Thanks for the links, but apparently I can ignore this!

Reply to
Adam Funk

conduit with a male adapter will do.

However, 20mm conduit will look much bigger than the wire, and make the whole thing look horrible. Also, you need to consider drainage of condensation inside conduit. I would just paint the wire as I described earlier.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'd not be two worried about the T&E but be far more so about rain/snow getting blown up inside the fitting and causing it to fail. The cable entry really needs a gland fitting into it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice