switching motorised valves

I have 5 motorised valves in my house and want the fifth motorised t

switch on when all four of the other motorised valves switch off, i one of the four motorised valves is on the fifth motorised valve mus remain closed.

Any suggestions appreciated............I'm thinking of smoe sort o relay?

-- Fatboise

Reply to
Fatboise

It depends on how you are using the valves at present. Most 2-port valves have a set of volt-free change-over contacts which switch when the valve is fully open. The COM and NO contacts of these are used in S-Plan systems (wired in parallel) to switch the boiler and pump on whenever one or more valves are open.

If you're *not* already using the volt-free contacts for anything else, you could use them to control your fifth valve. You would have to use the COM and NC contacts - wired in *series* - to control the motor of your fifth valve. Then, if *any* of the 4 valves opened, the contact would be broken and the 5th valve would close.

It takes a finite time for a valve to open or close, of course, so the status change won't be instant. Does that matter?

Reply to
Set Square

Perhaps you are in the market for an automatic bypass valve instead?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I suspect that you might be looking for an automatic bypass?

If you are seriously lucky all the 4 valves might have the white wire as Set Square mentioned.

If they don't (almost certainly the case) you would need a simple mains replay unit to generate the opposite of the boiler demand which you can then feed to the 5th valve.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

If the 5th valve *is* to provide a by-pass on an S-Plan-Plus system, then using an automatic by-pass valve instead would indeed be the way to go. In this situation, the volt-free contacts on the first 4 valves would already be in use (as I indicated) and would not be available for switching the 5th valve without additional relays.

He didn't actually say what any of the valves were used for - so I gave a generic answer - but I suspect that it *is* a central heating system!

Reply to
Set Square

If you're planning to use this instead of an automatic bypass valve to give the boiler's output somewhere to go when all the other zones are off it's perhaps worth noting that there will be a delay of a few seconds between the last of the normal zone valves turning off and the bypass zone valve opening. This could perhaps be enough to upset your boiler and scupper the whole system.

Reply to
john.stumbles