No Bypass on the heating system

Here's the problem.......

I have a oil fired burner heating the rads and hot water cylinder in m house (new self build house). The house heating is divided into 4 zone

- Hot water, downstairs rads, upstairs rads and kitchen rads by motorised valves. These valves are actuated by four switches located i the kitchen. I should also mention that the only room thermostat that have is in the kitchen which will close the motorised valve when i gets to temperature.

So if I wanted HW and the kitchen warm for the morning I have to mak sure before I go to bed that the two motorised valves are left open.

The problem that I have is what would happen if the heating was turne on and the only motorised valve open was the one in the kitchen? As fa as I can make out the thermostat will close the motorised valve and th the heating pump will keep pumping but the water will have nowhere t go.......

What would be the best solution to this?? I've thought long and har and the only ideas that I can come up with is ..... (bear in mind tha I'm new to this)

A: Wire the power for the boiler through the motorised valves, i they're all closed then the heating will switch of. or B: Build in a by pass on the plumbing, but I'm not sure how this wil work either. Do I need to add pressure switching valves or what???????

Any help much appreciate

-- Fatboise

Reply to
Fatboise

[...]

A: Wire the power for the boiler through the motorised valves, i they're all closed then the heating will switch of. or B: Build in a by pass on the plumbing, but I'm not sure how this wil work either. Do I need to add pressure switching valves or what???????

Any help much appreciate

-- Fatboise

Reply to
Fatboise

Each valve has a microswitch which closes when the valve is fully open. A permanent live should run through "each" of these and to the the boiler. The boiler should not fire if any of these are closed.

The kichen stat energises the kitchen valve. The cylinder stat energises the DHW valve.

Do you have thermostat radiator valves on all rads?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That would be good.

Automatic by-pass/Differential pressure relief valve, I think the Honeywell one is called something like DU145. The pump differentail pressure increases as the flow rate decreases, so the valve opens at a pre-set pressure, allowing water from the flow into the return. It maintains a flow rate through the boiler & pump until the boiler is shut down by it's high-temperature thermostat.

The kitchen isn't a good place for the whole-house thermostat. You could be cooking in the kitchen & the heat would shut off the heat to the rest of the house.

What operates the other 3 thermostats? A thermostat in each zone is usual; the boiler & pump start on a demand from any one zone.

Reply to
Aidan

To clarify, he means "each in parallel" and not "each in serise". i.e. only when all are open is the "call for heat" removed from the boiler. (If the boiler has a call for heat input it is better to use this than simply using its power connection, since that will let the boiler run the pump for a while after turning off the burner).

And the stats in each zone ought to energise those valves.

Reply to
John Rumm

Confirm that. One of these.

Aidan

To clarify. Only when when all zone valves are de-energised will the boiler be switched off. If one, or more, is open (energised) the boier will fire, along with the pump.

There is none.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Be a good idea to install some then...

Reply to
John Rumm

It seems like you have the makings of an S-Plan-Plus system (see

and scroll down to S Plan Plus) - but that it hasn't been implemented very well!

The idea behind a zoned system is this:

  • Each zone valve is controlled by a timer and thermostat
  • The boiler and pump are controlled by the secondary contacts on the zone valves - all wired in parallel - so that the boiler and pump only run when at least one zone valve is open

You may or may not need a by-pass depending on whether the boiler needs the pump to keep running for a bit after it's stopped firing in order to disperse the residual heat. If so, the pump will be controlled by the boiler, and only the boiler will be controlled by the zone valves. If you need a by-pass, install an automatic one between the flow and return pipes - after the pump.

In order to sort your system out, you need a programmable thermostat controlling the zone valve in each heating zone. The radiator nearest to the stat needs to have its TRV disabled - otherwise they will fight. The hot water valve needs to be controlled by a timer and tank stat.

Once you've done that, you can set it all up for each zone (or hot water) to be at the required temperature at the right times - and then forget about it!

Reply to
Set Square

... You have checked the manual of your 'oil fired burner' to ensure it needs a bypass

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thats is what everybody else does.

controller-> thermostats -> motorised valves , switches of which are wire or'ed -> boiler.

So any valve ON means 'fire up the boiler and pump'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher